Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04, Disco II rain water leak. Help locating source of leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 04, Disco II rain water leak. Help locating source of leak

Help with this, please. Where is leak source, how do I seal leak? Yes, I did read posts pertaining to this sort of problem, with little or no helpful information.

2004 Discovery 2. Rain water leak (certain it is rain water, nothing else-- happens only after heavy rainfall). Driver's floor mat soaked, and corner of headliner, above driver's head, toward windshield, gets wet, leaving about a 2 inches long x 1 inch wide wet corner on the headliner, which, I think, in turn, leaks down onto floor, eventually getting it soaked; remember, it rains for days; sometimes for weeks where I live. Driver's Floor mat remains dry toward firewall, but beneath pedals, the mat gets wet directly in front of the seat.

I thought it might be coming from the front of left roof rack where it joins with roof, so I temporarily sealed that joint with silicone (without taking roof rack leg off), but water still comes in big time. No water is entering up front, near firewall, nor from front side kick panel, it is coming only from that front small corner of headliner, above, and to the front of driver sitting in seat. COULD IT BE FROM SUNROOF DRAIN TUBES? I DON'T OPEN SUNROOF, EVER, FOR FEAR OF GETTING THEM LEAKING, AND I HAVE NEVER CLEANED OUT SUNROOF DRAIN TUBES.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Could be the sunroofs even if you don't open them if the seal is gone or it could be the front windshield. I had a persistent leak on the passenger side, turned out to be the windshield.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just figured mine out. Mine was this for the water in the cabin: both rubber gutters left a gap between the cowl and the rubber gutters, just had to wiggle them back snug.

Land Rover Discovery Windshield Cowl Removal And Installation

watch at 8:20

I also figured out my headliner leak was the sunroof. I opened up the sunroof and tested both drains with a cup of water, pour into front left and see if you hear the suction from the drain and immediately see water under the left front tire. Repeat for the right drain. If working well this isn't it. Mine was debris on the seal, so I cleaned up the edges of the glass really well and really cleaned the seal.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Had a similar leak. During rainy season in South Florida. Mine turned out to be sunroof drains related. Did the fix and sealed sunroofs at same time. No leaks since. Suggest removing headliner to identify source of leak, then go from there.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Since I live just north of you in Portland, I will give you my experience with a sunroof (on a different vehicle) and our rains. My Pontiac has a sunroof, which I seldom if ever open, I had the car before I bought a convertible, and when July and August come and it actually quits raining, I drive the convertible. I do however still clean out the drains on the Pontiac. Most rubber drain tubes always have water going through them, even if the roof is closed, the fact is all sunroofs leak, that is why the manufacturer installs a drain tray and drain tubes. Since it never quits raining here, my drain tubes start to get a black slime in them, when it finally dries, that slime flakes off the inside of the tube. The outlet is minimal to anything and the flaked off slime now creates a log jam at the drain bottom. We have to clean out drains more frequently that others thanks to the lovely rain here, which its doing again today!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thanks, guys. I am almost certain problem is due to drain plugged.

Thanks, all, for the help. I am now certain that problem is due to left side sunroof drain being plugged, so I can easily clean out the hose. I have worked on cars/trucks all my life, but not on a sunroof until now, and I now know how they have an interior trough, which leads to drain openings, one on each front corner of sunroof. When we park under trees, the collected junk can plug up the drains, so water creeps out to headliner, which ends up on floor. Too, sometimes rover drains, being plastic, get cracked or broken, so the water bypasses the drain pipes, getting the headliner and carpets wet all the same. When you live where one experiences heavy rainfall, one has to have a special love for sunroofs and convertibles, and it certainly helps to be a bit crazy too. LOL.