Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/8" oil over FULL line on dipstick

Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Uhh what? Maybe if you filled the oil so high it was sucked in to the PCV port it would affect your PCV system. Otherwise as Tom pointed out there is a vacuum on the top end and a tendency for a positive pressure to be built up in the bottom end (caused by blowby) but this is alleviated by the PCV system connecting the bottom end to the top end. The reason you do not want to overfill your crank case is that the harmonic balancers on the crankshaft will aerate the engine oil like a smoothie and remove much of the lubricating and thermal properties of the fluid.
I really hate to keep this going( so this will be my last comment .. yeah !) the PCV system on the crankcase is only designed to relieve just so much pressure....there is a fixed volume in the crankcase( oil + air = total volume ) adding an excessive ammount of oil will increase the ammount of pressure that the air volume is subjected to and quite possibly overcome the ability of the PCV system to relieve enough pressure......Too much pressure in the engine base will cause leaks at the seals and any compromised gasket surfaces. It is also possible that this level may be reached before there is enough oil to contact the crankshaft lobes. HOW much is TOO much ?? I assume no one here wants to find out. I have been a mechanic for 30 years and wish I had a buck for every time someone has way overfilled with oil and caused themselves problems.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only way and engine will start leaking is from the PCV system becoming clogged. The crankcase builds pressure, and if it can not be relieved (pcv clogged), it will push oil out of the seals.

The PCV commonly carbons up on most engines and causes leaks, not too much oil. My Caddy even had a new intake system because the holes weren't big enough from inception. Later models are fixed.

PS, when you start a post that states the engine gets it's vacuum from the crankcase, no one is going to trust a word you say.

PSS, your cruise control unit has a separate vacuum pump under your air box. It is in no way tied into the engine vaccum...

Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We already established that being 1/8" isn't going to hurt anything.
A LOT of people on here are pretty **** retentive about their stuff, so if you decide to drain some oil out, just take off the oil filter and pour it out and you should be good. May need to do it twice. There really isn't another reasonable way to do it. When I was younger and dumber I tried to take out an extra quart by taking out the drain plug and putting it back in real quickly. Didn't exactly work out if you know what I mean...