Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 DISCOVERY I...ENGINE CUTTING OUT, FAST IDLE OR NO IDLE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 01:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 DISCOVERY I...ENGINE CUTTING OUT, FAST IDLE OR NO IDLE!

We're stumped! My '98 Disco I was in the shop with Red Rover in Martinez, CA, trying to find out why my engine has started cutting out intermittently.... sometimes
running fine, then barely running, cutting out, on, out. Kind of stuttering down the road. They chased every fault code their computer noted, with no luck, checked
every electrical sensor possible, swapped the CPU, replaced the alternator, plug wires, fuel filter, checked the fuel pump... I replaced the battery, all good moves,
but nothing has touched the basic problem.
The evidence I see is as follows:
1) The fuel tank has always had a venting issue, where the backpressure while filling keeps kicking the pump off, and you have to let it breathe through the filler tube,
sometimes makes fueling up a ver-r-y slow process.
2) My new alternator can't keep up, and will allow my new battery to go nearly dead while driving at night with the headlights on...(dead short?)
3) When the tank was low last week, the fuel gauge started wandering up to full, back to empty, and back up again. When I filled it, it retured to normal.
4) Problem seems worse on a low tank than a full one, but will occur at any point.
5) Car has an AC inverter on it for my mobile office power needs, which has always been hard on the batteries; it's hooked directly to the baattery terminals.
6) Now, to add to my woes, my once clean engine is leaking oil (started a few days ago)
Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: HELP-P-P! ENGINE CUTTING OUT, FAST IDLE OR NO IDLE....

ORIGINAL: westernsun

We're stumped! My '98 Disco I was in the shop with Red Rover in Martinez, CA, trying to find out why my engine has started cutting out intermittently.... sometimes
running fine, then barely running, cutting out, on, out. Kind of stuttering down the road. They chased every fault code their computer noted, with no luck, checked
every electrical sensor possible, swapped the CPU, replaced the alternator, plug wires, fuel filter, checked the fuel pump... I replaced the battery, all good moves,
but nothing has touched the basic problem.
The evidence I see is as follows:
1) The fuel tank has always had a venting issue, where the backpressure while filling keeps kicking the pump off, and you have to let it breathe through the filler tube,
sometimes makes fueling up a ver-r-y slow process.
2) My new alternator can't keep up, and will allow my new battery to go nearly dead while driving at night with the headlights on...(dead short?)
3) When the tank was low last week, the fuel gauge started wandering up to full, back to empty, and back up again. When I filled it, it retured to normal.
4) Problem seems worse on a low tank than a full one, but will occur at any point.
5) Car has an AC inverter on it for my mobile office power needs, which has always been hard on the batteries; it's hooked directly to the baattery terminals.
6) Now, to add to my woes, my once clean engine is leaking oil (started a few days ago)
Anybody out there have any suggestions?
A couple of thoughts, one, if you are not happy with your mechanic, you might want to talk with Tony or Frank at
http://www.lrrforums.com/ a great Forum and an even great shop.
Now back to my 2 cents worth. Sounds like you have have or had 2 main problems, 1) battery/alternator and 2) fuel tank/supply.
Our trucks computers will not manage the trucks engine systems if they don't get a steady 14 volts or higher, hence an engine management system that is stuttering.
A good fuel scourse is important, both pressure and flow. You didn't mention if you replaced the fuel pump relay, big problem on Rovers? Try driving your truck without the fuel cap on, I know this will throw a code, which is no big deal cuse if the engine starts running better, you now have a place to look at and correct.
Let me know how it goes.
Mike

Old 05-20-2006, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks Mike!

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump relay hasn't been looked at yet... can you elaborate on it's function, and why it's been a problem on Rovers?
I know enough to be dangerous, but I'm finding I'm the best observer, so I'm looking for clues.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The fuel pump relay is there as a means of protects the pump from overheating do to back pressure usually caused from a dirty fuel filter.
Most of Rovers relays hold up pretty well with the exception of the fuel pump, windows sometimes and the power seats.
Rule of thumb, if after changing a fuel filter you are still having what may be a fuel problem, change out the relay.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 05-26-2006, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear

To everyone who helped out...

Just to let you all know, we discovered the problem today! Angelo, a sharp master tech at Red Rover European in Martinez
took about 5 minutes to find that the wiring harness had fallen on to the muffler, and shorted out the fuel pump, tail lights, etc
to the frame.... a thirty minute fix, and it's over!

My thanks to all,

Scott

Old 05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update it may help someone else in the future.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: 1998 DISCOVERY I...ENGINE CUTTING OUT, FAST IDLE OR NO IDLE!

hadn't heard of that one. thanks for letting us know what the fix is. gotta love a rover. duboff