Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 whammys right in the driveway....I call that a good car. Sranded at home.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 2 whammys right in the driveway....I call that a good car. Sranded at home.

A couple months ago when I was servicing the engine, I left the ignition key on after I placed the rig in neutral in order to spin the front driveline to I could grease it, well I forgot the key was still KOEO. After a couple hours when I went to start it, DEAD battery?? The battery was less than 2 years old, group 24, nothing super fancy. So I put the charger on it and all good. I SHOULD have been a good mechanic and pulled the battery out and had it load checked, but I didn't. So this last weekend I pull in the driveway, load up some parts to take to the in-laws house, took maybe 5 mins, go to start the rig....turns over 'somewhat' strong, but no engine start up?? wtf? After cranking for 6-7 seconds a couple times, the battery goes dead? My meter on the battery read 12.19 volts. I knew I should have tested the battery a couple months ago. I put the battery charger on it and let it set overnight charging. The next day the engine cranked/turned over but still no start? Time to grab the Autel 619 scanner. I plugged into the obd2 port, found zero codes, so I set it to live data on the rpm screen, turned the engine and the scanner would just go blank...So I pulled the bat out, took it down the street to the nearest parts house, load test FAILED like I knew it would. So with this fancy battery still under warranty, I got it exchanged for free, COOL. Put the new battery in the rig, setting at 12.80v on my meter, cleaned up the cables again... I was excited because I just knew the bad battery was all that was wrong...so I checked air pressures in the tires, did this and that...then I figured I better start it up and see how strong the new battery is, well it cranked over stronger than ever! BUT still no start?? Ok time to plug the Autel back in, went straight to live data rpm, turn the engine over and WAL La...no rpms registering = bad Crank position sensor. GREAT....called around to a couple parts houses, found one for 60 bucks, picked it up and installed it. I have to say, there wasn't one thing I liked about changing this sensor out!! Its a one handed job, I couldn't get two hands up in that area... and really a pain in the butt. Took me about an hour after fiddling with the misc tools it takes to do the job...So the crank position sensor just up and quit right in my driveway (along with a bad cell in the battery) hot/cold had zero effect. So I am going to be buying one for a spare to keep in the rig.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Hey, at least it was at home in the driveway and not 400 miles from home!

Good to hear your back up and running!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

With all of the issues these vehicles seem to produce...it only makes sense that sooner or later some will develop in the driveway...lol.

Glad you got her repaired.

Brian.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I've always considered my vehicles good if they break down in the driveway...It's happened to me many times throughout my life. Your right, better than 400 miles away with no parts stores in sight and no cell reception...for sure. I still like my Rover. Now if I can just get to resealing my sunroofs and put the headliner back in.....

Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Mine failed two hours from home on the way back from a weekend Boy Scout camping trip. Six scouts and me. Not ideal.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm buying another CPS for a spare to keep in the rig for sure. I don't like the fact mine quit without warning. Usually they give you warning signs when failing....usually