Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco 2 burning oil!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Disco 2 burning oil!

I have a 2000 d2 with 186000 miles, I recently had my head gasket replaced along with valley pan, intake plenum, and rocker cover gaskets as it was leaking oil everywhere. I also had a burnt valve on cylinder 8 with a constant misfire. That is all fixed now and truck has been over 2000 miles and is running excellent, but is now burning ALOT of oil. A lot of blue smoke out of tailpipe on acceleration. Does this mean I now need a valve job? Where else could the oil be going? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

You need to do a compression test to find out if its rings or valves.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

What do U mean it smokes a lot under acceleration? 1- Is it a constant smoke as long as pedal is kept depressed? Or is it a burst of smoke for few second and it fades-out? 2- When u say burned Valve and now fixed, what did u do, just change one valve? How were the other valves? Did u re-seat(lapped) all valves with lapping compound? How tight or loose were valve guides, and did u use new valve steam seals all around?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:53 PM
5th Gear

What I mean is it smokes under initial acceleration but then tapers off un till I come to a stop light then smokes again when I start moving again. My mechanic checked all the valves and replaced what was needed. The vehicle ran absolute great for the last 2000 miles and then my oil started to dissapear, that's when I started noticing the blue smoke

Old 04-26-2015, 04:10 PM
5th Gear

Service invoice

Check no compression no 4
R&R cylinder heads, replace timing chain race all hoses, radiator, water pump radiator.
Injector service
Replace all fuel injector screens, o rings, and o ring seats

Repair heads
Grind valves
Clean heads and oil pan
Resurface heads
Pressure test heads

Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

When idle no smoke, as accelerate from stop starts smoking and fades away, cruising at same speed no smoke but when accelerate from crusing speed wili smoke few seconds and fade away. If this is happening I can assure u piston rings are ok otherwise U will have constant smoke even at idle and crusing speed. Oil is getting into combustion chamber from between valve guides and valve stem, either valve guides and or valve stem's or both are worn out more than normal tolerance , so if he replaced stem seal's they only held up for short time,( or if guide's and valve stem's were ok he didn't change the seals , but I doubt it, cause then it would smoke from day one.)

Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Baja

"Repair heads, Grind valves, Clean heads and oil pan, Resurface heads,Pressure heads";
I am going to assume heads did not do all this work and not replace the $4.00 valve guide seals.
despite what others people my think you quite easily could have blown the rings out by putting a fresh tight top end on,
not uncommon when a valve job is done on a high mileage vehicle.
I would do a compression test and go from their

Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
"my think you quite easily could have blown the rings out by putting a fresh tight top end on.
blue smoke on acceleration, after all that work, I'm gonna second Drowssap's recommendation, and say start with a compression test. But it's probably gonna be rings.....

Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
"Repair heads, Grind valves, Clean heads and oil pan, Resurface heads,Pressure heads";
I am going to assume heads did not do all this work and not replace the $4.00 valve guide seals.
despite what others people my think you quite easily could have blown the rings out by putting a fresh tight top end on,
not uncommon when a valve job is done on a high mileage vehicle.
Happened to me on my D1. Did the head gaskets, valves, etc. and the new pressurized top end blew out the rings. Was consuming oil like crazy. Smoke was coming out mostly on acceleration, not so much at idle.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Baja

in the days of old 100k was the mark that was used as a borderline. Under 100k do a valve job over 100k just deck the heads and replace gaskets.

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco 2 burning oil!