Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really cant believe this. Please read folks.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts
Default I really cant believe this. Please read folks.

So i have had my disco for about a month and a half. Loved every minute of it except that i had this crazy vibration only when on the throttle. Didnt matter how much, part throttle, full throttle. At ilde, fairly smooth but step on the gas, vibration like crazy.
Now before you say, drivershaft, it has already been rebuilt.. And Disco Mike has also recommended that I check the outplut flange on the transfer case. A little play is there, but not enough to cause that large of a vibration with the vehicle standing still. Motor mounts where checked, as well as the left and right rear mounts. Everything checked out. I was getting pretty nervous that i would have to tear this truck apart to find it.
At the same time, I had this annoying little rattle that would coincide with the vibration. Now, im a tech for mercedes, and rattles and squeaks is the one thing we as techs all hate. So, I did what any good tech would do. Turned the radio up a little louder.
Today though, im checking for a vacuum leak and I actuate the throttle and low and behold, i can hear the rattle. Coming from the passenger side engine compartment. Narrowed it down and realized my pre-cat O2 sensor was loose. Thought thas weird, hand tightened it and realized, hey maybe thas my vibration problem. Didnt have time to test drive it but really thinking about it, the math works. If The O2 sensor is getting more air than is within spec, then its gonna tell the engine to dump more fuel. More fuel is gonna cause that stumbling vibration problem. Well I just got back from a test drive, and I was right. Smooth as butter. Pulled into the garage and head the rattle a little. Checked the O2 sensor again and it had worked its way loose.. Gotta bring some tools home to torque it down properly but there you have it. Freaking O2 sensor caused me so much headaches and nightmares..........Well on to the rest of my 60K service.

Last edited by dgi 07; 05-22-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Would you use some flavor of loctite here=? I know there are different hardness levels, but would that be appropriate around the O2 sensor or not?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgi 07
So, I did what any good tech would do. Turned the radio up a little louder.
LOL!

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Gotta bring some tools home to torque it down properly
dgi, excuse my ignorance as I only play a LR mechanic on TV, but do you mean a torque wrench like what you would use on lug nuts, but maybe smaller?

X2 on what Rover_Hokie posted, would it be appropriate around the sensor?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
LOL!

dgi, excuse my ignorance as I only play a LR mechanic on TV, but do you mean a torque wrench like what you would use on lug nuts, but maybe smaller?

X2 on what Rover_Hokie posted, would it be appropriate around the sensor?

Im sure he means anything better than hand tight. A wrench or O2 sensor socket would suffice.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by JoeM5952
Im sure he means anything better than hand tight. A wrench or O2 sensor socket would suffice.
1. Yea I know I should have used a wrench and I would have... if I had tools at home. I don't keep a set at home.

2. Some guys like using a little loctite on O2 sensors. Im not one of those guys.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mwindth
LOL!

dgi, excuse my ignorance as I only play a LR mechanic on TV,
Thas funny. I like that. Mind if I borrow that line?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Never seen an o2 sensor come loose before, grats a new one. =]