Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Discovery II no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Discovery II no start

2002 Discovery II will not start, symptoms as follows:

Engine stalled while driving, restarted after sitting for a few minutes. Drove vehicle for a few miles, engine stalled again. This time it would not restart so vehicle was towed home. Now the flashers stay on regardless of switch position (pulled fuse in engine compartment to shut them off) and the engine will crank/turn over but will not start. I have verified that I have spark and the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment will cycle with the ignition key. I have reset the inertia switch in the engine compartment and have reset the security system (?) with the remote and the driver's door lock cylinder. I have also left the ignition in the #2 (run) position for five minutes with all the doors/tailgate/hood closed. The only issue I can see is that my battery voltage is a 11.55 volts with the headlamps on. I am currently charging the battery in the vehicle.

Cliffs -

No start
Flashers will not turn off
Inertia switch reset
Engine will turn over
Verified spark
Fuel pump relay cycles with ignition
Fuel pump not running
Battery voltage at 11.55 after multiple attempts to start engine
No change in symptoms when attempting to start engine with battery charger hooked up.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My next step is to test the fuel pump but the flasher issue is concerning me. I have read about the inertia switch and the flashers staying on if the vehicle thinks it has been in a collision. I have pushed the inertia switch several times, held it down and even unplugged it but nothing changes.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's way to low on voltage and you need a new battery. Now if a crank shaft position sensor is failing it will stall out as your describing and then sometimes allow the vehicle to start again once cooled off. And then not start at all. Sounds like your problem, and from cranking and cranking you have tripped the security system and caused the lights to flash and inertia switch to pop. Does this make sense to you? If so replace battery and crank shaft position sensor and be on your way.

Now do look at our administrators major service sticky at the top of page and get busy. This will bring your truck up to date on service! Down load a free copy of the "rave" it is a manual for your truck and will guide you threw and service or repairs you need to make. If you have not replaced your front drive shaft or rebuilt it its time. It will cause 6 k in damage when it fails so replace it. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-26-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Overlanding

Silver,

Thanks for the reply. I have installed a new battery and the engine still will not start. I will order a crankshaft position sensor and try that, although I am confused as to why I have spark but no response from the fuel pump even though the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment is clicking. Also, I do NOT have a red LED showing on the instrument cluster near the odometer.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have no response from fuel pump it is probably dead. There is a access panel under carpet in rear if truck. Pull carpet up and take fuel pump out and test pump. They do have a high failure rate so check that. You may be able to get your battery to charge back up and return the new one. Sorry i missed that in your original post. My fault, but i would recommend you check the fuel pump next. Hold off on the crank senor until you have confirmed the fuel pump issue. You could unplug fuel pump and wire it directly to your old battery and check it.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-26-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Quit throwing parts at it. Send me your number and I'll call you with some things to try.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

How many miles on it?
If around 155k to 170k fuel pump is probably gone and dead.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Overlanding

The vehicle has 125,000 miles on it.
Any ideas on the flasher issue?

Disco Mike:
Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Overlanding

Update:

I accessed the fuel pump and applied direct power, the fuel pump did run. I then cycled the ignition switch and watched the voltage at the fuel pump connector - no response.
The inertia switch is not tripped, how do I test it?

Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Fuel pump will have a relay.
ECU or BcEM module is probably not commanding the relay to close.

Try to use the key FOB and lock and unlock the Discovery over 5 times or so to try to reset the alarm and the flashers...

I would also put a battery charger onto the battery for a few hours at
the 12 amp setting.

When the amps fall to 4 amps charge current, you are charged.
Then try to start it.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Overlanding

I have charged the existing battery to at least 12.8v. I have temporarily installed a known good battery from my other vehicle. Neither approach has allowed the Discovery to start. I have attempted to reset the security system multiple times with the remote and the LF door lock cylinder. I have also attempted to re-introduce the ECM and BCU to each other by leaving the ignition switch in the #2 position for five minutes with no change in the no-start condition. My next step is to test the wiring to the fuel pump.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Keep them coming.
I also vow to post the resolution, as I have found multiple threads with similar situations that don't have any conclusion.

Quick Reply: 2002 Discovery II no start