Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco starving for fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only if it has been running with wires mixed up for the several thousand miles when I replaced plugs, and I was careful, and tagged the wires with masking tape, and marker to make sure they went back on where they came from. I pulled the relay, and checked for voltage, and didn't get a reading. What sensors cut power to the pump? Assuming it is a sensor.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The CPS would send a signal to the computer telling it to turn on the injectors, fuel pump and coils when the key is first turned on, or when cranking. There should be power on two of the pins for the pump relay if the key is on. Do you have power at the fuse with the key on? If not, I would take a look at the ignition switch and wiring.
I didn't think the wires would be messed up. I'm just trying to think of all possibilities.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Three Wheeling

You mean at the relay? Or the fuse itself? Have not checked there yet, but I did check the relay. Will check at the fuse tonight.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would check the fuse first. If there's power on both sides of the fuse, then check the power at the relay. I think the ignition switch sends power through the fuse, to the relay when you turn the key on and the ECU commands it on for a couple seconds to prime. Then when you crank the engine, the ECU commands it on again to maintain fuel pressure.
Another thing you can try is to turn the key to the on position and wiggle the key. If it makes a connection, you should get power to the pump fuse.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok. Power to the fuse, and relay, but none at the pump. I was using my test light, because I didn't have my multimeter with me, will check with that tomorrow to be sure on voltage.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If it lights the test light, the voltage is good. So you tried jumping the load side of the relay, I assume? And still got no voltage at the pump?

Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Not sure what that means. How do I do that?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling

I pulled and tested the relay again, and had no resistance once the circuit clicked closed.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What I mean by jumping it is, you would have to remove the relay and jump the pin with power to the wire out to the pump. On most standard type relays, you would jump pins 30 & 87. The relay should be marked.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok. Not sure what the deal is, but I jumped across the switch on the relay, nothing. I hooked across power to the side of the switch with the pump on it, and it started. I pulled the wire, and put the relay in quickly, and it stays running, and energizes the pump before starting like normal again now. Back to what is probably the maf problem.

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco starving for fuel?