Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco II Radio Buttons Dead - Need to Replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Disco II Radio Buttons Dead - Need to Replace

So I just bought a 2004 Disco SE today. I knew there were a couple of things I needed to work on, but that's half the fun of these things... right?

So one of the issues is that none of the buttons on the radio work. The radio itself works, but the steering wheel controls are broken so I was just able to rig it up to a tape adapter to run my phone through.

My question is this: If I want to just replace the OEM radio with one that looks similar but has either aux or bluetooth connectivity, will one like this work?

Bluetooth Radio Similar to OEM

Like I said, right now I'm not looking for something crazy different from the stock version. I don't need it to do much other than connect to my phone or other BT device. I just want to make sure that I'm correct in the assumption that this would fit without too much fuss.

Also, has anyone else ever had the volume controls on the steering wheel break? I haven't taken the airbag off to inspect it, but the controls for the radio are really finnicky. It's hard to change the volume, and if I bump the control it will lower the volume all the way down. I assume this is because the control is broken somehow. I bought a new one on ebay for $20 and should be getting it this weekend.

Any suggections would be appreciated. I am making a to-do list of things I want to fix and appreciate the advice I've gotten so far on this forum.

Last edited by Jsivey; 02-14-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

If you are looking for aftermarket, check http://www.sonicelectronix.com they always have great deals on head units and supply you with the adapters and front fascia and they have have adapters to make your steering wheel controls work also. I've always used them for my stuff BC it's hard to beat their prices and service. That's just my 2 cents. You can get a good head unit for under $150 or look for a factory if that's what you want on eBay or scrapyards

The following users liked this post:
Jsivey (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling

This may be asking too much, but are there any aftermarket head units that are the 1.5 din size so I don't have to use the spacer?

If not that's fine, I just got my Disco II (yesterday) so I'm still in the mindset of keeping things from looking out of place.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsivey
This may be asking too much, but are there any aftermarket head units that are the 1.5 din size so I don't have to use the spacer?

If not that's fine, I just got my Disco II (yesterday) so I'm still in the mindset of keeping things from looking out of place.
not too sure. I'm planning on the Sony with a built in 150 watt amp and swapping all my speakers to Memphis car audio personally. That extra cubby leaves me a place to put my phone

Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I had mine replaced with kenwood. It had USB and BT and handsfree phone. I like it and nice if you use your pandora, navigation and call all same time. The raido quiets down when directions are prompted, same with calls. you can get an adapter module to be able to use the steering wheel controls.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT7...C-BT765HD.html
It fits well on the dash. You can also match the color of the instrument panel. Mine is an all model but similar looking.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Small win for me, I removed the broken stereo steering wheel control and I suddenly get my cruise control function back.

And the new steering wheel stereo control came in yesterday. Popped it in today and all is good.

Have two horns on order and should be here mid-week.

Now for the fun stuff like flushing the Dexcool out of the radiator.

Thanks for the help with this. Al least now I can hold off on buying a new stereo until I get some more money consuming things fixed.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Dunno what you paid for those horns, but like I said earlier junk yards have plenty of vehicles with the same Hi/Lo config and connector. Last set I grabbed cost me 5.00.

On the stereo I just grabbed myself a Kenwood for 109.00 at wal-mart. I know that makes it sound cheap, but I compared it to a lot of other stereo's at Best Buy and a few $$$ Stereo Shops. It's all black minus a black/silver trimmed main dial, has adjustable LED's, Bluetooth, USB, input jack, and all the new iPhone/Android Support. It looks really nice vs slapping in a chrome trimmed Pioneer or bling bling futuristic looking Sony. It's got a lot of options to tweak and it certainly sounds better than the OEM one it replaced. I didn't add the steering wheel button support stuff as I rarely used it anyways, but I'm sure it can be added. Just one main thing to make sure you get correct in order for it to all power up properly. The Blue/White Striped Antenna Wire must go to the OEM Grey Connector on the Red/Blue wire. That is what will power up your OEM AMP. I had to move the Orange/White wire on my Metra Harness over to the Red/Blue wire position as it was not in the proper place.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-20-2017 at 04:20 AM.