Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery Valuation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery Valuation...

I understand no forum enjoys a "what is my car worth?" thread so I will keep this short and sweet and hopefully someone may help me out with pricing.

I am looking into a 2004 Discovery and have come across several different units and one has finally presented itself as the most viable prospect.

That being said the seller and I are a bit far apart from each other and I was wondering if my pricing is off or his.

2004, Black / Black. 50k Miles. One owner from day one. (Purchased it off lease when it was up.) All service records and history from their local LR Dealer. Most recently new tires, new battery, oil change. Nothing else. It does not have Hurricane wheels or anything special on it. It's the regular ordinary plain Jane Discovery. Does not have seven seat option. Original Paint all around. Typical wear on the body from being ten years old but nothing out of the ordinary. Paint correction and TLC could revive the paint and a substantial interior detail could make it shine like new. Mechanically the only issue I noticed is a bit of oil weeping around the top of the engine but nothing below. It appears it may need brake pads and rotors at all four corners but I could probably skate through winter before that needs to be addressed. A thorough PPI is required before purchase and I have offered that to the seller at my cost at the servicing dealer where the rest of the history may be seen.

Original asking price was $15k. My offer was half that but they've stated bottom line would be $10k if I agree to purchase the vehicle this weekend.

Thoughts? Info? Insight?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I would rather buy one cheaper that is not working and put in a Rover Cannibal or Turner Long block for that amount of money.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your offer $7500 was more than fair. that's a $5k truck in my neck of the wood

http://www.edmunds.com/land-rover/di...e-results.html

Last edited by drowssap; 10-23-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a cheaper disco with a blown motor, then put a fully built bullet proof motor w/top hat liners in

Old 10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, you can buy a really nice disco for less than 2 grand and drop in a rebuilt motor and still have money left over for gas.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure where you are but 15 is crazy high.

Low milage check. Nice colour check. One owner check.

But that sounds like it. And it's far away from you.

Leather interior? CDL? Heated windshield/seats? Tow package? Rack? Fancy bumpers?

Those things lift prices a bit. Is it S or SE?

I paid 6.25 for my S. 2 owners, 95k. After a lot of looking. I overpaid. But I had to jump at something. Make sure you see a lot of them before picking.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
I understand no forum enjoys a "what is my car worth?" thread so I will keep this short and sweet and hopefully someone may help me out with pricing.

I am looking into a 2004 Discovery and have come across several different units and one has finally presented itself as the most viable prospect.

That being said the seller and I are a bit far apart from each other and I was wondering if my pricing is off or his.

2004, Black / Black. 50k Miles. One owner from day one. (Purchased it off lease when it was up.) All service records and history from their local LR Dealer. Most recently new tires, new battery, oil change. Nothing else. It does not have Hurricane wheels or anything special on it. It's the regular ordinary plain Jane Discovery. Does not have seven seat option. Original Paint all around. Typical wear on the body from being ten years old but nothing out of the ordinary. Paint correction and TLC could revive the paint and a substantial interior detail could make it shine like new. Mechanically the only issue I noticed is a bit of oil weeping around the top of the engine but nothing below. It appears it may need brake pads and rotors at all four corners but I could probably skate through winter before that needs to be addressed. A thorough PPI is required before purchase and I have offered that to the seller at my cost at the servicing dealer where the rest of the history may be seen.

Original asking price was $15k. My offer was half that but they've stated bottom line would be $10k if I agree to purchase the vehicle this weekend.

Thoughts? Info? Insight?
It depends where you're located. East Coast values tend to be lower than West Coast values; the '04s I've seen locally, with well over 100K miles, are in the $7500 range. 50K is very low miles, but only adds about $2K to the value; I would personally not want black, but that is a popular resale color. '04s are more valuable than '03s due to the reintroduction of the CDL. What model is it? What other options does it have?

Know going in you will easily drop another $3-5,000 in corrections and upgrades - look at the sticky at the top of these threads as a guide. The factory engines are durable if you address a couple of issues and are dilligent on your maintenance schedule; 150-200K miles is common.

For a SE model, KBB.com comes in at $7,500 to $8k trade-in value; $9,500 to $9,750 for a private party sale. Keep in mind that a dealer will NOT pay actual trade-in value if you're not buying a car from them...only about 80%. Always walk in with cash...a big wad of $100 bills is hard to resist!

EDIT: Just saw you said it was a 'S' model...scratch those values! Drop about $3,000 from each! $10K is rediculous; tell them to take it down to CarMax and see what they'll give them!

Last edited by sdhow; 10-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For comparison, I bought my 03 with a perfect interior for $1500, it came with the ARB and roof rack, swapped in a CDL that I rebuilt for 200, dropped 8000 grand on an engine, install. Now I basically have a zero miles vehicle with a lot of upgrades for less than 10 grand. 10 grand is a bit high but one owner and only 50k miles...

Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Leather interior? CDL? Heated windshield/seats? Tow package? Rack? Fancy bumpers?
leather, heated, no tow package, no rack. only addition is something i would remove and that is the front guard and fog lights.

Originally Posted by sdhow
tell them to take it down to CarMax and see what they'll give them!
i told him to do so and to bring it to dealer and their trade-in estimate would be around or under $3k. when i went to look at it the first time i offered to buy it on the spot and we could go to any bank and i would pay for it that day. he declined. the seller expressed his concern that many of these are listed at dealers for 12-14k and i stated that they are listed for that and they're not selling for that. follow the listings and you'll see they'll still be available long after yours has been sold to me.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you are prepared to pay 10k for a Disco, find one worth it.
Dont settle for a S model, you can get a trek or G4 for less.

and 50k just means there is a lot of parts the you are going to be replacing soon

Last edited by drowssap; 10-24-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery Valuation...