Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Default 300tdi it is!!

after much research, ive decided that a 300tdi is the route i wanna take. i'm done dumping money into the 4.6 because it seems like a never ending thing. the 300tdi is very appealing to me mainly because the simplism of it, reliability, and the good mpg.

i just have a few questions...

1. i've read that it's a little more complex in a dII than a dI (mine is an 03). why is that?

2. also, i've read that the 300tdi feels underpowered with an auto trans. of course i would rather have a manual but either is fine unless the engine will feel really weak and gutless with the auto??

3. where's the best place to buy and/or get the engine installed? most of my research has been done on east coast rovers' website. it says they only specialize in 300tdi swaps in defenders, but yet theres a big write-up with pictures about swapping and building a 96 disco.

4. lastly, what kind of price am i looking at out the door?? i haven't searched for engines and transmissions yet. thats where i'm headed now.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about my dII. i just dont have the money to keep dumping into the drivetrain so i would like to go ahead and get this done and be good to go for a long while (plan on keeping this forever, good lord willing). lastly, i would love to keep it strictly land rover and i've always wanted to own a diesel so this would be perfect.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Price is about $7000 or so with a used engine, I believe.

We're probably getting our info from the East Coast site. Look around. It should have some details.

I'd like to do it, too, but that's a little too much money.

Amigo free since 12/4/2009
Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltdowndave View Post
Price is about $7000 or so with a used engine, I believe.

We're probably getting our info from the East Coast site. Look around. It should have some details.

I'd like to do it, too, but that's a little too much money.
student loans FTW!!! haha, in all seriousness, i wanna keep my disco forever and this is basically the only way to do so. in the long run, i think it will end up saving me money
255/55/18 General Grabber AT2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTrain View Post
driving with the original drive shaft U-joints is like playing russian roulette...some people get lucky..some don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar View Post
You could say that about the Landrovers in whole.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 PM

yeah, I'd love to have a diesel too but really can't justify the cost since my rover is running great. Also when I think about how cheap you can buy one in Great Britain and the rest of the world I get so angry I want to go outside and cut down a tree just to make a hippie cry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G880gxjj9dI
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Just make sure you can register the truck after you install the engine. I know many state's vehicle laws are not as bad as NY state's so you may be fine.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM

yeah i thought of that also. Tennessee is fine with pretty much any vehicle on the road. you should see of these fine pieces of machinery rolling around here. hahaha
255/55/18 General Grabber AT2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTrain View Post
driving with the original drive shaft U-joints is like playing russian roulette...some people get lucky..some don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar View Post
You could say that about the Landrovers in whole.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM

Tags
300, 300tdi, america, coast, cost, discovery, east, landrover, lr3, prices, rover, sale, snelheid, swap, tdi