Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6/hp24 into 4.0/hp22

Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Okay after all of this time I'm finally almost ready to swap. Just waiting on new main bolts from Turner.

Name:  IMG_20150903_101255.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  262.7 KB

Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Hey, I bet everyone thinks I got frustrated, set my Land Rover on fire, and rolled it down the hill. No, but close.

All of the little things I had to find made this project maddening. As did the weather. Just today the cam end plug arrived and the new 4.6 is on the crane and ready to install.

So here's the question. My hp22 works fine. I am contemplating keeping it in until it fails, if ever. The alternative is to swap in the hp24 but that also requires changing the mounts from the bell housing back. If I keep the original should I swap the torque converter? Or should I just swap it all?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

I've been following your build and it's not like you've built some crazy horsepower monster. Personally, I'd slap it in as is. Keep the 24 just in case (I've got an extra in my garage too) and don't worry about it.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've been following your build and it's not like you've built some crazy horsepower monster. Personally, I'd slap it in as is. Keep the 24 just in case (I've got an extra in my garage too) and don't worry about it.
Thanks Alex. That's really what I'm thinking. What put the idea in my head is that a net another Rover guy just thirty minutes from me.... I thought I had this part of the State staked out! haha... And it turns out that he has a former 4.0 now 4.6 with the original hp22 still in it. His name is Jack and he lurks here. I wish he would start posting because his knowledge is deep and he is second only to you, Alex, at finding common sense solutions to Rover issues.

I woke up this morning to put everything in and it is raining. Texas is turning into a swamp. Ugh.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy

Yea, there's several converted trucks around with the 22 trans. Theres even quite a few converted D1s on factory trans. I'm not sure what the D1 had, but my first guess is the 22.

Haha, you're just trying to make my head big. The compliment is appreciated.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Yea, there's several converted trucks around with the 22 trans. Theres even quite a few converted D1s on factory trans. I'm not sure what the D1 had, but my first guess is the 22.

Haha, you're just trying to make my head big. The compliment is appreciated.
Well this is interesting. My zero rust rover had cheese crossmember bolts--yeah I decided to just do the transmission swap. I got all but three bolts out normally and cut the last three with no damage. But getting the cut bolts out is fun. Turning to the exhaust, also difficult bolts and nuts. Today is the day. Everything going in no matter what. First sunny day in quite awhile.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Default so this has a sad ending

This story has a sad ending. My newly redone engine hydrolocked. Yeah.

So I pulled it to figure out what went wrong and put my old engine in. A lot of work. I put my old engine in and it sounded funny, so I immediately turned it off. The oil smelled like gas. The tailpipe smelled like gas. I checked everything... plugs (had a pending misfire on 8), swapped the wires, checked the coolant for oil, and even changed the coil. The culprit was a stuck fuel injector on 8. These were the same injectors I used on the redone engine, in the same spot. I pulled it out and could blow air through it. I have several others so I put another one in and it worked after I changed the oil.

So, in short, my new engine was ruined by a fuel injector. Lesson for the future is to have all fuel injectors checked before breaking in an engine. Even known good ones.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh jeez, Charlie. I feel for you. So the cylinder just filled all up with gas because of a bad injector?

Did it hydrolock on starting or after the engine was already running? If it locked on starting, there's a pretty good chance it's still ok. If it locked while already running... well, condolences.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Tragic... Sorry to hear that.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks guys. I'm more disappointed than anything at least my old engine no longer leaks oil (new seals from my extras) and has a nice, tight timing chain. And I can pretty much swap an engine in a few hours. I'm not sure that will ever be useful but I'm trying to be positive.

It locked on start. I plan to take the heads off and soak the rings in oil. If I can move the crank I'll check the cylinder walls. It may be salvageable. Of course I had new bearings, rings, honed cylinders, turned crank and brand new cam, etc... so I'm expecting the worst

When I dumped the oil it looked like dirty gasoline. It was BAD. More like water than oil. I've confirmed all of the other injectors so one bad one really is all it takes to ruin an engine.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-19-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6/hp24 into 4.0/hp22