Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the oil pump?

Just went on a white water rafting trip. 5ks after leaving the site in the mountains, suddenly lost power oil light and battery light came on. Tach dropped to 0! I pulled over quick and shut her down. engine seemed really hot. checked oil, it was down a quart, checked it about 400ks before and it was fine. Just changed oil and filter 4 days ago. Anyways waited 2 hrs for tow truck, towed it to LR dealership.(only option where I was) But when the tow truck showed up I turned it over and it was running fine but oil light came on. I searched for this in other threads and it sounds like oil pump...Or maybe even I ran some seafoam through the oil 3 days before I changed it, maybe it released some sludge and plugged up the pump? Thank god I pulled over so quick and shut her down.(almost slammed on the breaks cause of the known oil pump probs in an 03) So i think and hope I saved the engine. Also small ticking sound when braking at low speeds, sounds like front drive shaft....SO how much u think LR is gonna rape me, and or any other options?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

LR is going to say you need a new engine at a cost of $10,000.

It is very possible that when you added the Seafoam to the crankcase it dislodged sludge and it clogged the oil pick up screen.
Wouldnt be the first time it happened.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

like spike said, seafoam dislodging sludge is feasible.
you could drop the oilpan and check the pickup screen. if there is nothing there,( and i highly doubt its gonna be clean) test your oil pressure and the sensor itself. if you drove through any water thas deep enough, it could mess with the oil pressure sensor.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the pick up screen make make up is about 1/16 inch so clogging it is a possibility. As stated, pull the oil pressure sensor and install gauge to check pressure output. Do you know where your temp gauge needle was? Get that Diso to an Indy shop if at all possible.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spike is right on with the price. I had a quote from LR for mine at $9,599 with a $2,000 core charge.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't do whatever the dealer suggests, pay for his time and let us know exactly what they found and the estimate, then let us walk you thru what to do.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies guys, Holiday today up here in Canada. Gonna do as Mike suggested and let the dealership have a look. Then go from there.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Mudding

K finally got the dealership to look at my truck....They had an accident in the shop and where down techs, so they say. Any how, they said its my crankshaft position sensor.....Does that make sence. Well told them to replace it, found an indy shop called " The rover shop" owned by enthusiasts in Calgary. Gonna take it there and just get them to take a look see. Does the Crank shaft position sensor sound right to you guys or are they just guessing... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure the CPS is involved with oil pressure light. Oil pressure switch comes on at about 7 PSI. Down a quart would not do that. Previous ideas about clogged pickup indicate an exam of the oil pickup is a good idea (drop the pan). You can also have the shop do a mechanical oil pressure test cold and warm engine. This may clear the oil pump from the equation.

CPS could be bad, butseparate issue. Murphy's Law reaches even the backwoods...

Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

crankshaft position sensor may account for the trouble re-starting, but has nothing to do with oil preasure. You need to get an oil preasure gauge on the motor to see what is happening.

Quick Reply: Is it the oil pump?