Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60k tune up

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k tune up

Anyone know whats on the dealer list for the 60k service.I went to a local import shop and they told me thats what they used. I figuredI could do most of the work myself like changing the plugs and flushing alot of the fluids.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 60k tune up

So here is my list of what should be done, there is more here then most shops will do but if you want to get the most from your truck with the least amount of break downs, this is the way to go.
This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service the way I do it.
1 Oil filter , K&N 3001
1 Air filter
1 Transmission filter kit
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W gear oil
2 Qts of Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt if not yet replaced
2 Bottles of SeaFoam

60,000 Mile Service
Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Flush the coolant system
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.
Mike

Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Overlanding

Take DiscoMike's advice and follow the list. I did and my truck has never been better. More power and pep! Just got back from a 3500 km trip to Eastern Canada/New England and it preformed without a hitch thanks to the fluid change, tune-up etc.

Derek

Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at 60,000km and just did most of this too, in checking I found some things you all migth want to look for. The stock plug wires were in bad shape, cracked caps, etc. The coolant was at a pH of 7. Etc. Now, the location of the engine block coolant drains... WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS?!?! Who puts a drain plug INSIDE an engine mount... I mean really, the British are known for estoteric and sometimes nonsensical engineering, but really... put down the beer at work.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Hey, that is a 45 year old GM engine designed for less technical times.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh, yeah.. that's part of the problem. The engine mounts are the issue really, bad design.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Any quotes for the purchase of the entire list. Are we looking at about $350 in parts/fluids?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

Ok, so how about what to do on a 99 Disco II with 130K that I just bought? I have the following known issues: Service engine light (friend read the codes and it shows O2); tranny temp light (will not go out once on and allowed to sit for idling for 1/2 hr, comes on (sometimes) after driving for 15 min; and of course the triangle of ABS lights (that come on when going over a bump, or at random); and a small coolant leak at the back either head/block junction, or some hose located in the area (hard to see as until I clean the engine (drip that has used 1/2 the reserve tank in 570mi)).

What I have done in the 5 days I have had the car: Changed the engine oil and tranny fluid (the old tranny fluid looked new), have to flush the cooling system and putting red back in (has green now),and change the transfer case oil; Replaced the air filter; Replaced the plugs (thinking of replacing the wires even though the ones on are in good shape). I suffered no loss of power, or increase in RPM's after picking it up in Manisquan NJ and driving it to Southampton NY 200 mi +/-, nor did the temp gauge budge from 1/2

Old 09-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by yachtracer
Ok, so how about what to do on a 99 Disco II with 130K that I just bought? I have the following known issues: Service engine light (friend read the codes and it shows O2); tranny temp light (will not go out once on and allowed to sit for idling for 1/2 hr, comes on (sometimes) after driving for 15 min; and of course the triangle of ABS lights (that come on when going over a bump, or at random); and a small coolant leak at the back either head/block junction, or some hose located in the area (hard to see as until I clean the engine (drip that has used 1/2 the reserve tank in 570mi)).

What I have done in the 5 days I have had the car: Changed the engine oil and tranny fluid (the old tranny fluid looked new), have to flush the cooling system and putting red back in (has green now),and change the transfer case oil; Replaced the air filter; Replaced the plugs (thinking of replacing the wires even though the ones on are in good shape). I suffered no loss of power, or increase in RPM's after picking it up in Manisquan NJ and driving it to Southampton NY 200 mi +/-, nor did the temp gauge budge from 1/2
The above list is without question the way to go.

That temp gauge is so buffered it's about 3 miles south of worthless IMHO.

What wires are on it now? IF factory you can either do them when you decide or the car decides but either way they're going to need it eventually. Just one of those things (like Land Rover head gaskets)

Tranny Temp- it would have been good to change the filter with the fluid. The transmission temp sender is located on the transmission cooler if you want to check it out to make sure it's not wonky. Def change the Xfer case oil and differentials. For some reason most people never do that.

ABS lights- get your codes read, possibly a bad hub given you symptom.

Coolant leak- track it down and hope for the best. One thing to check is the throttle body heater gasket. It can leak, drip down on to the valve cover and run to the back. Super easy, quick and cheap fix if that's the problem. I'd think the head gaskets would have been replaced by now so hopefully it's nothing major.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Before you jump in too deep, do you know how to to bleed the coolant system, where is your bleed screw, how to check the tranny level or change it and if so how much fluid did you install?
Check your front drive shaft and tell me how many grease fittings there are, this is important.

Quick Reply: 60k tune up