Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 disco , auto trans fluid change, how much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 disco , auto trans fluid change, how much?

capacity on auto trans on 98 disoc , maual shows about 9.5 qts, question if im draning trans fluid and changing filter , how much will it take to fill back op ?? i would think it would be less since trans fluid will still be convertor ect ect. ?? To check when full , do you check this the same way you do in other vehichles. Have the vehicle running in nuetral and check dip stick ???any other advise will be appreciected / thx Scott

Old 02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 98 disco , auto trans fluid change, how much?

Usually something between 4.5 and 5.5 quarts is what it will take.
How many miles on the tranny and when was the filter last changed?
To remove the filter, you'll need to remove the cross member and sometimes the "Y" pipe also.
You might consider just doing a fluid change without the filter and then another change in 2000 or 3000 miles, end results will actually be better.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

After I change the trans fluid (but before starting vehicle), I add an extra quart of trans fluid, then pull off one of the tranny cooler lines going to the radiator (or cooler) and put a clear hose onthe lineinto a drain pan. I also put a nipple and hose from the radiator side toa drain pan too. Then I have my wife start/run the vehicle and I watch for the fluid (that runs from the torque converter) until it runs clear.Wa-la, all the fluid from the torque converter has been drained and replaced with fresh tranny fluid from the trans drain pan! It only takes about 10-15 seconds to pump the fluid out of the torque converter until it runs clear. Then I reconnect the lines and top off the tranny as per necessary.Sometimes, if it takes a little longer, I stop the vehicle after about 10 seconds and add another couple quarts and restart and wait for the fluid to become clear.It's very obvious when it becomes clear. It's best to have a helper as a lot of fluid come out pretty fast and the whole processhappens pretty quickly.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike i bought this discovery about 1 month ago with 130,000 miles not sure when fluid and filter on trans were ever changed , just kinda going through everything , i fixed my preload steering wobble problem with your help , yes it was the swivels , i removed a few shims and tested preload , perfect no more problem. Now im working on pan-yard bushing, valve cover gaskets , next will be plugs and wires, what a great buch of guys to help me with questions,