Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 D2 Serpentine Belt REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D2 Serpentine Belt REPLACEMENT

OK. Most of the DIIs in the United States have 4.0 liter V8 engines. Well, the 2003s and 2004s have 4.6s, but the belt is the same. There are two belts: one for vehicles with ACE (active cornering enhancement) and one for vehicles without. "Sherman" does not have ACE, so I bought the appropriate belt from Land Rover Houston for him. To start, I had to remove the fan shroud (2) in the picture below. I used my phillips head screw driver to remove the four screws. There are two on the front (circled in orange) and there are two more to the rear (shown in the second picture). I gently removed the radiator hose from the top of the shroud and removed the fan shroud from the vehicle. (Click any of the pictures to enlarge them) [align=center][/align] [align=center][/align] Once the fan shroud was removed, I removed the belt cover (1) in the picture below. The first bolt you can see circled in the picture, the second bolt is shown by arrow D. Both of these bolts are 10 mm.
The pictures below show these same bolts:
Once I had the fan shroud and belt cover removed, I removed the tension from the belt by pulling on the tensioner (C) in the picture below.
The way I removed the tension was to place the 15 mm socket and the long ratchet on the bolt circled in the picture below. Then I pushed the ratchet in the direction of arrow A in the picture below. This takes a considerable amount of "umph." When I pulled the ratchet in direction A, the pulley rises in direction B, which releases the tension on the belt.
While holding the ratchet (relieving the tension), I removed the old belt.
I did have to finagle the belt off around the fan, but it's doable.
Now, one mistake folks make is to remove the belt and not remember how to route it when it is time to place the new belt back on the vehicle. While funny if it happens to someone else, it would suck if it were to happen to me. So, I always sketch a picture of the belt on a piece of paper so I will know how to put it back on.
In this case, I had a diagram, and I've pasted it below should anyone need it. The green dashed line shows how my belt was run because I do not have ACE; obviously if I did have ACE, I would have routed the belt per the original diagram.
Once I removed the old belt, I finagled the new belt on under the fan. Yes, this can be a pain, but I was patient and routed the belt up to the tensioner.
Similar to the way I removed the belt, I pulled on the tensioner again and slipped the belt on. Since this belt was new, it took a little more "UMPH" than what was required to remove the old belt; but again, I was patient and able to get it back on.
Once the belt was on, I reassembled the belt cover and fan shroud in the reverse order of which they were removed.
That's it--one replaced serpentine belt.
[left]Overall this is a very simple installation, but it

Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 99 D2 Serpentine Belt REPLACEMENT

Thanks for the indepth information, I wish more people would do this.
How many miles on your truck? Probably should have changed your 2 idlers and the belt tensioner if you have over 70K on it cause they are all prone to failing, just keep an ear open for them talking at you down the road.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks Mike. I posted it because I had to search the internet for about an hour to find it. I had the actual job done in 20 minutes once I located the directions. It almost as easy as changing out those air springs. The whole job was a pleasure and I used the finest belt I could buy. It was a Goodyear/ Continental...around $33.00. My Disco has 138,000.

The plastic housing above the belt broke, fell into the belt and cut into it. I had parts of the belt wrapped tightly around the fan shaft. This is truly a side of the road repair if you have a phillips screwdriver, a ratchet wrench and a 12 mm and a 15 mm ratchet. Keep a tool kit and an extra belt, along with these instructions in the glove compartment.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask how to adjust the tension if you need to do so? Thanks!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't think you do adjust it. As the pulley goes back into position it applies the needed tension to the belt.