Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco II - Three Amigos - Wheel Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Disco II - Three Amigos - Wheel Speed Sensor

-- See below post, I changed the title based on diagnostic results --

Hey all, first of all what a great forum!

My wife's 1999 Discovery II showed the three amigos (TC, ABS, Descent) steadily now for the last couple of days. Dropped off at the dealer this morning and am expecting them to come back and say I need a new modulator at a cost of $2K. I understand this is a common problem and that it's usually caused by a faulty shuttle valve. The SW0500030 repair kit looks very promising and looks relatively easy to replace.

I saw stanigu's great post on this site with pictures showing how to install the kit, think I might do that if that's the problem. However I saw that stanigu ended by bleeding the brakes, I'm not sure how to do that. Can someone provide a good step-by-step on bleeding the brakes after installing the shuttle valve kit?

Also, while I've got metric tools to get the bolts off, the tightening specifications are beyond me - what tool do I need to know I'm tightening to 14 Nm? Any recommendations for a bleeder that fits the Disco's brake fluid reservoir? Any other recommended tools/supplies?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: 99 Disco II - Three Amigos - Bleeding Brakes?

Heard back from the dealer and wanted to run it by ya'll to see if it makes sense. Luckily it's not the modulator.

I had Kauffman Tire (local chain) replace the front rotors but NOT the front brake pads about five months ago. Dealer says that rotors should NEVER be replaced without replacing the pads as well. Anyway, he claims that there were some weird patterns on the rotors/pads and that this may be causing vibrations/harmonics thus the appearance of the Three Amigos. No explanation why it took 5 months to show up. Of course he recommended that they replace the 5-month old rotors and the brake pads for $650. Thanks but no thanks.

I pressed for more information and asked what the error codes were, he replied "08,4" which apparently is a fault on the right front wheel speed sensor. He says that will cost about $700 parts/labor. I paid them $110 for diagnostic charge, had them clear the error codes and took the Disco over to Kauffman Tire to inspect rotors/pads to see if the dealer is telling the truth, Kauffman said they'd replace the rotors if anything was wrong. Currently awaiting the results.

Bottom line, I think it's the wheel speed sensor. Anyone have any advice on this? Also wondering if it's something I can do myself - Kauffman claims they can do it and told me I could just bring the part in and they'd install it and just charge me labor. What can I expect to pay for labor?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Overlanding

Been there, done that: buried the evidence. I bought my '99 Disco II out of Atlanta last July. I drove it home to northeast Arkansas and then the lights hit the fan. A tech with whom I spoke at lengthinferred that replacment parts are not the cure as the glitch has still not yet been fixed. Therefore,we might replacing apart that we know is bad w/a new part thatis waiting it's turn to fail. That's just as bad & certainly more costly. His temp fix (which I hate) is ignition off for 5 minutes or so and then they often disappear; and, yes, that often works. But one time, I had the Amigos show up while traversing a steep muddy slope (w/shi++y tires-since replaced w/awesome Nitto Terra Grapplers)and ignition-offing was not an option. I was lucky, I think. Anyhow, I've not heard about the kit you mentioned. Let us know if you go that route and have any success.
The good news is that my 3 Amigos have just plain not reappeared for about 5 months. They were regular uninvited guests to my dashboard light-show but suddenly *poof* (or *un-poof*)they stayed gone. However, if I, for some reason,am pressing the brake pedal as I fire up the motor, thenthey sometimes reappear: so don't press the brake pedal on ignition. But if it happens,shut off/turn on and they stay off.
I know that hoping they will just no longer be an issue is a fantasy dream, but it happened for me...so far.
I love Rover when he's runnin' good but I just had a huge uninsured health issue and I might have to put him out to a good home. Hey, anyone interested in a '99 Disco II/107,700mi/18" wheels w/new Nitto Grapplers (under 300 miles)/"Performance" pckg/ black & grey lthr interior/dual roofs/no jump seats/hitch? Will let it go for the $4,500 range. I need the cash so my cardiologist will be willing to put in another stent if necessary.
Kevin
Cherokee Village, AR

Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
6th Gear

Heard back from Kauffman today - they say the rotors are in great shape and the pads still have 50% or more wear remaining. The wear is even and no vibration was found. Kauffman believes it's a front wheel speed sensor which makes sense given that the dealer told me that the only stored code was 08,4 and that this was relating to - wait for it - the right front wheel speed sensor.

I believe the dealer is just trying to make $650 off me for new rotors/pads. The dealer says that the required part is SSW500020 which they want $250 for plus about $350-$400 labor. I can get it from Atlantic British for $150 including shipping and Kauffman says they'll put it on for about $50. Seems too good to be true? Needless to say I'm pretty angry with the dealership for trying to bend me over (AGAIN).

Other question, is replacing this sensor easy? It looks like you have to run the harness cable all the way up into the guts of the engine. Anyone have step-by-step instructions (preferably with photos) for this process?