Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Default ?? about resetting the alarm

I had to remove my battery in my D1 the other day to charge it and when I went to put it back in the alarm wouldn't stop going off. I tried turning the key in the lock three times but it wouldn't lock or unlock like it normally does. It felt mechanical with no electrical assistance. I tried starting the car and using the remote but couldn't. I finally locked and unlocked the rear hatch and it kicked all the actuators on so the prob was resolved but now my remote only works some of the time and it feels like one or more of the actuators are going out. Can the drivers side actuator cause this or am I missing something simple? Seems like something is about to fail but I can't figure out how to tell. What should I do the next time this happens? Thanks for the help, Jay
BTW: Everything is working ok for the moment but I am still worried. Does it matter if the hood is closed?

2001 Disco II SD7 SOLD
1997 Disco I SE7 SOLD
1967 Series IIa 109

Member of Tennessee Rovers; Carolina Rover Owners Club

Last edited by salve7; 12-16-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added question
Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM

is the remo0te battery in good condition? the hood also has a switch so try closing the hood when you redo the alarm replace the remote battery if its older than 2 years
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM

On the D2, the dash indicator light for the alarm will tell you if it thinks your fob battery is going dead; I don't know if the D1's did that or not.

Put your model/year/mileage/daily driver in your signature - All opinions strictly my own.
If you solve something, please tell everyone how for the archives
And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't. And please don't bite the newbies.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM

The battery is prob shot so I switched to my D2 remote bat and it was still having problems. The remote only works some of the time anyways...

2001 Disco II SD7 SOLD
1997 Disco I SE7 SOLD
1967 Series IIa 109

Member of Tennessee Rovers; Carolina Rover Owners Club
Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 PM

On a D1, you have to lock and hold it for 5 seconds with the key. You may have to repeat this. If you lock a D1 without doing this, the alarm will set. It will go off if unlocked with a key. The extra seconds keeps the alarm from setting. You can also get a new case and buttons for your alarm fob. Mine was getting really worn and I replaced it a few years ago. Works a lot better..
2010 GLK 350 Mercedes
1990 VW Cabriolet - Lake car...
1997 Discovery SD-7 to put the boat in.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Tags
2001, 2003, alarm, close, discovery, land, problems, remote, reset, resetting, resting, rover, sd7, starting, works