Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop at Valley Pan or Head Gaskets

Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stop at Valley Pan or Head Gaskets

As the title states - Now that the weather is trying to break, plus daylight saving time I am going to dive head first into my coolant leak. It's a 2001 disco with 123K miles. To me, it runs great!! No Hestiation, No Stubbling, No Light but it is leaking coolant. I can pressurize it to 20 lbs and in a 1/2 hour it will be at 15 lbs. Don't see any leaks when I do this. No smoke from the tailpipe when it's warm. Light smoke when it's cold. I know it's leaking near the rear of the engine because after I drive it and park it for a few hours, it's leaving a wet spot on the ground near the middle of the truck and I can see where coolant has been dripping, ie around the transmisson and starter. Does not show a visible sign of leaking when running. No Coolant in oil - Have changed it twice to be sure. My issue is that I don't know if I should do head gaskets or just the valley pan or if I've overlooked another known leaking area. Want to fix it but don't want to fix what's not broken.
Advise Please...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends on if you can afford the little extra down time. If it were me, I'd do the head gaskets also IF I had the time and little extra moneys.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

5 pound drop is a good reason to do head gaskets. Have you down loaded a free copy of the Rave, shop manual? As for part, cal P.T. Schram, number in my signature section and order a kit from him, good parts and better prices then most. Make sure to replace the t/stat and install new 8 mm silicone plug wires if you haven't done it yet.
When putting it back together switch away from Dexcool and go to one of the better green coolants.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I would do the head gaskets while I was in there. The only thing you will have left to take off is the head bolts, rocker shafts and push rods once you're at the valley pan.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice - Mike, I will contact them to see what the price on the kit. All the hoses except for the heater hose within the last four months, along with the themostat and water pump. (Did all of the easy leaks first) Guess I better check the oil pressure before tear down to see if I need any additional parts. I do have rave, will review and search for head gasket repair on forum, everyone makes it sound easy and I've learned that if it's sounds too good then it probably not that good. Oh Well... I better get myself pumped up to hang out with the Rover Gods and Murphy Law for a couple of weeks... Fun Fun