Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yuenie
Thanks Josh. As you suggested I will continue my questions here.

I don't have any testing tool at all. The 3 amigos was there for like 3 months, not an intermittent one. A friend of mine used his OBDII to test my truck and gave him something "Shuttle Valve Failure" blah blah. I tried the troubleshooting manual/pdf in your website and no luck. That's why I want to give a try to the bypass option B. I went thru all the steps, and the connection testing at Step 40 is also fine. But when I re-installed everything, turned the key, too bad the lights were still there.

The only difference between my work and yours is, I think, I ground the harness to the hole I indicated in the pic rather than the bolt holding the pipe like you. Is that possible it is the reason?

Like i said in the write-up. You must KNOW what error codes you have before doing this repair. If that hole on the fender is not a good ground then of course you will have the lights. that is why i used the bolt.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Hi Josh,

I completed my repair, using your last method that only involves removing the switch. I did find it extremely hard to turn those 3 small Allen screws, they must be installed with Loctite!

I found I had to lift the ABS unit higher to get my old stubby fingers underneath so I wedged a piece of a 2 x 4 under it. I also found those screws so hard to turn with a short Allen wrench that I ended up making up a small Allen wrench socket by sawing off a bit of the wrench and sticking it into a 4mm socket (I used a bit of making tape to make it fit snugly). Before reassembling I took the 3 screws over to my bench top grinder which is also fitted with a fine wire brush and cleaned the threads of any Loctite residue which made screwing them in easier.

I also decided to reinsert the plastic connector plug that I had cut the wires from before replacing the switch assembly as I saw it had an o-ring. I figured it might be good to keep the inside of the ABS unit free from any moisture buildup.

No lights on yet so I will just have to drive it for a while and wait and see if this fixed it!

Im glad it worked out for you! That was a good idea re inserting the connector.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is nice. thanks so much.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Overlanding
Default Reistance question

I am in the process of completing this mod to the ABS system to try to banish the amigos. I have completed all steps and am checking conitinuity per step 40. I am getting readings of 3.02, 2.02 and 1.02 KOhms. I assume this is within tolerance but just wanted to make sure I don't need to replace the switches. Thanks again for the great write up!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's about where my readings were, your switch sounds like it is in spec.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Overlanding
Default Thanks

Thanks Chris, I just wanted to make sure.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my ABS Amigo today.Turn the ignition to II. Plug into OBDII port. Blue..Red..Blue..Blink Green. Start the truck. The 3 damn amigos are still there !! Here is the log.

--------------------------------------------------------------
|* ABS Amigo Box V1 RSW Solutions LLC Copyright 2008. *|
|* www.RSWsolutions.com *|
|* *|
|* *|
|* Version V1.1 *|
|* *|
--------------------------------------------------------------
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
Logged Faults:
Front Right Sensor Bad Output
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd bad
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults

By the way, I did it 3 times. What have I done wrong? Also I have performed Josh's re-wiring a month ago. Is there anything I can check to make sure the rewiring was completed correctly? I shouldn't get "Shuttle Valve Electric Failure" if it is successful, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Drifting
Default Three Amigos Gone!

I took the gamble on option C that Josh posted and the amigos are gone. Indie shop wanted $900 for the fix. Parts and tools cost me $80. So if I split the difference with you Josh then I owe you about $400 bucks.

Like other posts, I also found the hex screws very difficult to remove and suggest to anyone else that tries this to invest the extra $5 bucks in the correct size socket set connection for the 3 hex screws underneath.

Someone really needs to make this the first option that comes up under searching for "Three Amigos". Thanks so much!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by penniwb
I took the gamble on option C that Josh posted and the amigos are gone. Indie shop wanted $900 for the fix. Parts and tools cost me $80. So if I split the difference with you Josh then I owe you about $400 bucks.

Like other posts, I also found the hex screws very difficult to remove and suggest to anyone else that tries this to invest the extra $5 bucks in the correct size socket set connection for the 3 hex screws underneath.

Someone really needs to make this the first option that comes up under searching for "Three Amigos". Thanks so much!
Are you sure you meant option B instead option c? I don't know of anyone who has done option C.

But anyways, glad it worked!!

Josh

PS. You can paypal me the $400.....

=)

Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Very impressive Josh! Your step by step explanation as well as your excellent photo images are first class. I think I will be attempting this repair in the near future.

Do I need any special tool to reset the system to clear the history of any faults or does it just reset itself?

Chris...I'm in Houston. Can you shoot me an email w/ contact info: lp@wecravesushi.com

I think I have the 3 amigos...

Quick Reply: ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)