Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
wa wa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default Acceleration Noise

I have an 03 Disco II with 60k miles on it that has been well maintained recent oil change and 60k maintenace. I drive it maybe less than 300 miles a month. So yesterday I started driving and as I gradually accelerated its starts making a rattling noise by the front passenger side. As I am driving it goes away until I give it some gas to accelerate. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before or may know of what may be the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Will
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
mwindth's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 669
Lightbulb has your front drive shaft been re-built with greaseable parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa View Post
I have an 03 Disco II with 60k miles on it that has been well maintained recent oil change and 60k maintenace. I drive it maybe less than 300 miles a month. So yesterday I started driving and as I gradually accelerated its starts making a rattling noise by the front passenger side. As I am driving it goes away until I give it some gas to accelerate. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before or may know of what may be the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Will
drive line slack...or has your front drive shaft been re-built with greaseable parts? If not, STOP driving immediately and read the ""Write ups" and "How To" sticky section above:

Propshaft Rebuild

Driveshaft rebuild done!
__________________
Michael

'01 Disco II SE 89K as of 06/8/12; stock except for tires and "custom" CDL activation lever (10 mm open end wrench). New O2 sensors; Re-built front drive shaft w/greaseable parts; New head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake plenum gasket and front timing cover gasket; Magnecor 8mm wires and Bosch Plus 4 plugs. 245/75 16 Wrangler SilentArmors. Most off-road activity done on my hunting lease.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2011, 02:33 PM
wa wa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default

mwindth,

I'm not sure, I'm not a mechanic. I know someone who is an ex landrover mechanic who now works at Toyota. I left him a voicemail so I can meet up next week. I drive about 20 miles a day so will this be ok to drive?

Will
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 PM
humroot's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa View Post
mwindth,

I'm not sure, I'm not a mechanic. I know someone who is an ex landrover mechanic who now works at Toyota. I left him a voicemail so I can meet up next week. I drive about 20 miles a day so will this be ok to drive?

Will
Well, if it what mwindth thinks it is, then NO, it is not OK to drive at all. On the front driveshaft there are 3 u-joints (universal joints). Each one of them should have a zerk (grease fitting). It is a little nipple that will either stick out from the end of one of the 4 sides of the u-joint, or it will be in-between 2 of them. Just get under the front of the truck and you can check very easily.

The problem with our front drive shafts is that they came from the factory with "sealed" u-joints (ungreasable). With the u-joints being so close to the catalytic converter, they heat up A LOT and eventually fail. When they do fail, more often than not it is at high speed and the loose driveshaft will punch a hole in the side of the transmission. This happens more than you would think. So if you HAVE to drive it, I would make it a short trip to the mechanic or a driveline shop to have the u-joints replaced if they are original. What will be a few hundred dollars will turn into thousands of dollars if it fails.
__________________
Jamie

2001 Disco SE7
OME 751 Springs in Front
SLS with 2" Spacers
OME HD Shocks
Diff Lock Installed
ACE

Member Carolina Rover Owners Club (CROC)
http://www.carolinarovers.info/

Get RAVE manual here: http://www.landroverresource.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
mwindth's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humroot View Post
Well, if it what mwindth thinks it is, then NO, it is not OK to drive at all. On the front driveshaft there are 3 u-joints (universal joints). Each one of them should have a zerk (grease fitting). It is a little nipple that will either stick out from the end of one of the 4 sides of the u-joint, or it will be in-between 2 of them. Just get under the front of the truck and you can check very easily.

The problem with our front drive shafts is that they came from the factory with "sealed" u-joints (ungreasable). With the u-joints being so close to the catalytic converter, they heat up A LOT and eventually fail. When they do fail, more often than not it is at high speed and the loose driveshaft will punch a hole in the side of the transmission. This happens more than you would think. So if you HAVE to drive it, I would make it a short trip to the mechanic or a driveline shop to have the u-joints replaced if they are original. What will be a few hundred dollars will turn into thousands of dollars if it fails.
exactly...X2
__________________
Michael

'01 Disco II SE 89K as of 06/8/12; stock except for tires and "custom" CDL activation lever (10 mm open end wrench). New O2 sensors; Re-built front drive shaft w/greaseable parts; New head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake plenum gasket and front timing cover gasket; Magnecor 8mm wires and Bosch Plus 4 plugs. 245/75 16 Wrangler SilentArmors. Most off-road activity done on my hunting lease.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
wa wa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default

All,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and providing the information. I won't drive it since I have another car until I can take it to be repaired.

Will
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
DiscoRover007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwindth View Post
drive line slack...or has your front drive shaft been re-built with greaseable parts? If not, STOP driving immediately and read the ""Write ups" and "How To" sticky section above:

Propshaft Rebuild

Driveshaft rebuild done!
I have a question in addition to the OP's post. When the drive shaft starts going bad, and a noise or rattling starts to occur, should there be any visible signs that the u-joints are going bad? Would there be a way to tell from looking at the outside of the shaft?

I ask because I just removed my front drive shaft and I'm about to replace the u-joints and center bearing kit. But something I noticed is that the drive shaft looks new, like it's been replaced before.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,368
Default

There may be visible signs, some people have posted photos where the u joint cups have started to disintegrate.
If ALL your u joints on the front drive shaft have grease nipples then it has been rebuild, otherwise not.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
DiscoRover007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,031
Default

Yeah mine only has 1 greasable u-joint from the factory. I just think it might be possible that the dealer replaced the shaft entirely at some point. I'm not the original owner. What about the 1 u-joint with a grease nipple? Is that still good and can it be reused? Or should I replace that as well for good measure. I bought 3 Neacpo U-joints with zerk fittings at the end caps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,368
Default

Pump the existing one full of grease, see if fresh grease comes out at all 4 cups. If not then think about replacing it. I would just replace it since you have a new one, and it only takes a couple of minutes once you get the hang of it.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
02, accelerating, bad, driver, driving, front, joints, land, making, noise, rattling, rover, shaking, side, sign, underneath, universal


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Copyright © Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
LAND ROVER and its logo are the registered trademarks of Land Rover. Land Rover is not affiliated with LandRoverForums.com.

Emails Backup