Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
wa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It turns out it is the head gasket that is the issue. The shop my friend works at will not let him do this big of a job on the side. Worse case does anyone have and idea how much this would cost if I took it LandRover? Does anyone know of any reputle mechanics in the fairfax county VA area?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LR will empty all your bank accounts, take it to an indy.
Head gaskets are a DIY job, it will cost you much less than doing it at a shop. Buy your friend a case of beer and invite him over for the weekend.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head Gaskets don't make rattling noises when they fail...U-joints do...

Originally Posted by wa
I have an 03 Disco II with 60k miles on it that has been well maintained recent oil change and 60k maintenace. I drive it maybe less than 300 miles a month. So yesterday I started driving and as I gradually accelerated its starts making a rattling noise by the front passenger side. As I am driving it goes away until I give it some gas to accelerate. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before or may know of what may be the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Will
Originally Posted by wa
It turns out it is the head gasket that is the issue. The shop my friend works at will not let him do this big of a job on the side. Worse case does anyone have and idea how much this would cost if I took it LandRover? Does anyone know of any reputle mechanics in the fairfax county VA area?

Thanks
Hey Will...though I have no doubt you need new head gaskets...every Landy at some point does...but in your original post, you described another well known failure, your front u-joints. Just as Bundu pointed out, "If ALL your u joints on the front drive shaft have grease nipples then it has been rebuild, otherwise not." Replacing your front u-joints with greaseable parts should be your first priority...Or you might have to put in a new transmission before you even get to the head gaskets.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am being told that all i can buy is either the oem for $800 or a proline for $400. neither one has a greaseable joint. would it be smart to have the shaft rebuilt by a driveshaft shop?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would just order the center bearing kit and 3 geasable u-joints. Take the drive shaft off and take it to a drive line shop. Cost me about $190 bucks parts and labor included.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I would just order the center bearing kit and 3 geasable u-joints. Take the drive shaft off and take it to a drive line shop. Cost me about $190 bucks parts and labor included.
X2...just in case, mark the shaft with a grease pencil or sharpie before taking it off and put it back exactly the same way; though I'm sure the indie shop will rebalance it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Mudding

grab your drive shaft and see if you can move it back and forth, if so take note if its the u joint bye the pionion or bye the drive shaft and go from there, they are cheap to replace if you do them your self, and yes they are very easy to do, I am sure U-tube has some how to vids, if not for a land rover just about any other car or truck vid will help you, also there is a rubber drive shaft coupler that can go bad. Land Rover Discovery & Range Rover Classic Driveshaft Rubber Coupling - Land Rover Wheels and Tire Parts at Roverparts.com good luck, reply back if you notice any other noises or feel it getting worse during turning or higher speeds.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Mudding

Land Rover Universal Joint - Prop Shaft - Land Rover Wheel Parts at Roverparts.com, hear is what a u-joint looks like., if its bad, unbolt the four bolts that hold in the straps on both ends, used c-clip plyers to remove the c-clips, get a large C lamp, and one socket that is the same size or just a little smaller then the uv cap, then one larger and put that one on the other side and crank on the C-clamp , they should come right out, Never use a hammer as you can damage your drive shaft. Good luck