Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added seafoam for sticking lifter

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that's not a dirty lifter

Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

pulling the plugs can also mean just pulling a plug wire. The idea is that with no explosive force in that cylinder noises from whatever associated with just that cylinder will change. With a plug out, your noises will be drowned out.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

red plugs can be from octane booster or some chemical in the gasoline.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 95disco sounds just like this. it is not overheating. could it be oil pump? I thought lifter or rocker arm but someone here said no to the lifter. How was this resolved?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by suzukisam967m
when I purchased my rover I noticed that after a long drive I was getting a nasty tick. after purchasing an ultra gauge I saw my problem, I was running 114 degrees. Water wetter, rotella 15-40, 180 stat, lucas oil additive, and mine runs quiet and about 185 degrees. so if you are running hot you could have a viscosity issue... may have nothing to do with your problem, but it is a viable solution if your problem is a viscosity issue.. if it is a lifter or a sleeve, then happy wrenching!

Suzukisam: So I just bought my first LR Disco II (2003) and have no knowledge of the maintenance history except that it has a new radiator. I'm working to replace the water pump, and get a 180 t-stat installed. I was going to swap in Rotella T6 5W-40 but I saw your post and am now reconsidering that. I was only going to use the 5 weight for the winter months here in Washington state and switch to 15 in the summer. Do you suggest just running 15 all the time?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You can run 15w40 all year long in Washington state.

I have not had any issues in 4 years with it.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by me 2
I was told to add seafoam for a load sticking lifter. I added half the can and the rest to the gas. The lifter sounds louder now. Will it eventually clean up and quiet down or am I going about this the wrong way?

me 2 - did u get the lifter issue resolved???? If so let us know...

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

That's not a lifter. That's a loose sleeve.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
That's not a lifter. That's a loose sleeve.
how do u tell for sure if its a sleeve and not a lifter? Mine - to me -sound is coming from the top end - sounds like a lifter. It doesn't start making noise till the truck warms up. If its a loose sleeve I would think it would make noise at start up. Mine's quiet at start up until engine heats up.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pathas
how do u tell for sure if its a sleeve and not a lifter? Mine - to me -sound is coming from the top end - sounds like a lifter. It doesn't start making noise till the truck warms up. If its a loose sleeve I would think it would make noise at start up. Mine's quiet at start up until engine heats up.
No a loose sleeve normally starts to move/tick after it warms up not from cold start. If the engine is already hot then it will start ticking sooner than from a cold start.

RMT says to run water from a hose onto the side of the block to cool it down while it is ticking and if it stops ticking it is a liner. Then if you remove the hose and it warms back up again it will start back ticking. You need to hose it down below the exhaust manifold and above the oil pan on the side of the block. Turn the water down low and try not to wet any of your sensors or electronics if possible. You may have to try each side of the block if you are not sure which side it's coming from. If that stops the tick then buy a grey 180 genuine thermostat (link below) and see if that will cool your engine down enough stop the tick. I've never tried the hose down test but, makes sense and he says it works so I'm sure it does. I have replaced the thermostat with a 180 and did stop the tick but, may not work for everyone. It's worth a shot.

THERMOSTAT ASSY DII & FREELANDER 180 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, PEL500110, RNQ028 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-02-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Added seafoam for sticking lifter