Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding oil cooler to an 04'

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Adding oil cooler to an 04'

I saw a post from rovermastertech about using a trans cooler and adding to an 03/04 for an oil cooler.

The trans cooler on the 03/04 is bigger than any of the coolers on the earlier model D2s.

So here are my questions:

1) If I take a trans cooler from an 04 and add to my 04 as an oil cooler, does it fit right in to the plastic mount brackets and is there ample room with both of the large coolers?

2) The trans cooler has a temp sender tapped into it. Can this same port be used as an oil pressure sender?if so, any recommendations on the parts needed for the oil pressure upgrade?(sender and gauge)

3) Have I missed anything?

Any insight would be great. Thanks

Old 09-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Baja

Based on nobody chiming in instantly, I guess this has not been done so often. Anybody have some ideas? Anything?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I read that too and had the same questions. Will the trans cooler fit with no big mods or hassles and can the oil pressure be gauged from there?

My thoughts were that I could gauge the pressure from there since some have tapped into one of the unused oil cooler ports on the front cover for a pressure sender.

I have also read that one of the front ports could be used for pressure and the other could not since one is IN and the other is OUT. If I remember correctly it is the one on the side that could be used and the one on bottom could not.

So, I would think that since the cooler is an extension of the side port where others have tapped into and part of the complete system that the port on the cooler could be used for pressure since it should have the same pressure as the the rest of the system.

I'm betting RMT, drowssap, or offroadfrance can enlighten us or at least tell us if a sender in that location (on the cooler) would be a go or no go since they were building engines long before rodriguez stole that goat.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-21-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Baja

Thank you for the response. I am going to get the parts together this week and look into doing it. Im about to pull a 4.6 out of an 04', so I will use that trans cooler. I also have an 02' motor with the oil cooler still attached to the front cover, so I will use those lines and be able to have a good look at it as it is out of the car.

The only thing I need some help on is the oil pressure sender, especially if there is one that fits right onto the same threads as the temp sensor.

I will take some pics once its all done. I need to repair the gaping hole in the trans first!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I tapped into the unused cooler port for my oil pressure gauge so as long as you read it before the cooler you should be good. My oil pressure sender needed 1/8" npt threads. You can use whatever adapters you need to get from the threads on the port on the tranny cooler to 1/8" npt. If you get stuck, stop by a hydraulics shop. You can also use a short length of hose to put the sender in another location if it won't fit where the port is.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Baja

Since I'm adding the cooler, there will not be an unused port. Would it not work to use the temp sensor port in the trans cooler that I'm adding?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Thank you for the response. I am going to get the parts together this week and look into doing it. Im about to pull a 4.6 out of an 04', so I will use that trans cooler. I also have an 02' motor with the oil cooler still attached to the front cover, so I will use those lines and be able to have a good look at it as it is out of the car.

The only thing I need some help on is the oil pressure sender, especially if there is one that fits right onto the same threads as the temp sensor.

I will take some pics once its all done. I need to repair the gaping hole in the trans first!
Good deal...let us know what you come up with.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

easiest would use a sandwich adapter between the block and the filter for an oil cooler and sensor

Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Since I'm adding the cooler, there will not be an unused port. Would it not work to use the temp sensor port in the trans cooler that I'm adding?
Sorry if my post was confusing. I meant use the temp sender port on the tranny cooler. You could also use a tee between the port on the timing cover and the hose to the oil cooler, or the sandwich adapter.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Baja
Default Sandwich adaptor

Originally Posted by drowssap
easiest would use a sandwich adapter between the block and the filter for an oil cooler and sensor
I saw that glowplug makes a sandwich adaptor for their oil pressure sending unit. Do you know of a sandwich adaptor that also accommodates the oil cooler as well?

Thanks to all of you for the advice, I'm starting to get excited about this project!

Quick Reply: Adding oil cooler to an 04'