Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on how to bypass alarm without fob key

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on how to bypass alarm without fob key

Hi guys
Land Rover Discovery 2003.
I hope you can help me. I took my car in for an oil change. When they were done, they parked it outside and handed me the key. I put it in the lock to open, the lock just rotated! The alarm was flashing. The guy noticed one of the doors wasn't closed properly. Locksmith got me into the car. The car won't start. All the lights go on on the dash, the windows are working, it just won't start. I am assuming this is because of alarm, the car thought it was being stolen and shut down. I don't have a FOB key or remote.This happened two nights ago.

Here's what I've done so far: I left the battery disconnected, the red side, overnight. Nothing changed, still won't start.
Made tons of calls, Land rover gave me the four digit code for a Fob and told me to call lock shop, I called all over town, nobody I talked to makes Fobs for Land Rover.
Someone told me I can bypass the alarm by taking out the door panel, there will be something at the back of the lock I can remove, that will enable me to start the car.I took out the panel and found that the lock is broken inside, there's a bronze rod written r33077 that's broken. I think that's why the key is just spinning.
Land Rover said to tow the car in today. I am moving to another state this weekend. I am all packed and serving the last few days of my notice, I need the car asap.
If you know of anyway I can drive this car, I would be so grateful.
Please help me
Thank you

Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you located? I have the rod, I bought it thinking mine was broken but it wasn't.

I never used it and have it somewhere in my garage.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if it's just the rod that's broken, you can turn the actuator with a knife to unlock it. That should disengage the alarm.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 AM
4wd Low

I'm in Vegas, Fuddy. You?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Fuddy
Also, if it's just the rod that's broken, you can turn the actuator with a knife to unlock it. That should disengage the alarm.
Great Idea, thanks!
I tried taking out the lock yesterday, after removing the door panel, but one of those screw like things that require a star shaped screw driver head to remove, by the latch side of the door, is messed up. Looks like someone tried to remove it with the wrong tool before. How else can I take out the actuator?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Babsido, here is a thread I started a few years ago on another Rover forum about the lock rod failing and how to repair it with a 20d nail.

Driver's door lock cylinder spins - '99 DII - DiscoWeb Message Boards

As for the star-shaped screw I presume that it's a Torx head. A Torx screwdriver or nutdriver bit may be able to get it out even if it is buggered up somewhat.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

That 4 digit code isn't for a remote. It's either the code for the metal part of the key or it's the EKA code, neither of which will help you if the key doesn't work properly in the door lock. The first stop would be to get that corrected, and then once the system is disarmed, I'd try to get a remote synced up with your BCU so that you have two (or three) ways of disarming the system.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mln01
Babsido, here is a thread I started a few years ago on another Rover forum about the lock rod failing and how to repair it with a 20d nail.

As for the star-shaped screw I presume that it's a Torx head. A Torx screwdriver or nutdriver bit may be able to get it out even if it is buggered up somewhat.
This is perfect! It's exactly what I need! Thank you ever so much!

Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jafir
That 4 digit code isn't for a remote. It's either the code for the metal part of the key or it's the EKA code, neither of which will help you if the key doesn't work properly in the door lock. The first stop would be to get that corrected, and then once the system is disarmed, I'd try to get a remote synced up with your BCU so that you have two (or three) ways of disarming the system.
I'll get a remote as soon as I have an address for them to ship it to. I'm moving out of state in a day or two. Thank you

Old 01-29-2015, 12:32 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mln01

Maybe I should get a bigger, stronger screwdriver, the one I have isn't doing the trick. Thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: Advice on how to bypass alarm without fob key