Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo

Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Of the wiring or the double din install?

Wiring I can do, the double din not until next weekend. I'm still sorting out the android interface and don't have the dash back together yet.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 04 with factory NAV (Bwahahahaha).

I went with:
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

NA710.5 | MB Quart

MS1-254 | MB Quart

Running the Harmon stuff for fill, and the subs sits in a cube between the rear seats. Hits pretty hard, exceptionally clear, and with the nautical stuff, not so worried about wheeling damage to the electronics.

My listening runs from Rev Horton, to Moonshine bandits, to Lyle Lovett, to Hank I, jr, and III. With some 80's thrown in, from Men without Hats, to ZZ Top... It hits just right every time.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
If your vehicle has dual diversity rear side window antennas you will have two antenna plug wires in the dashboard harness, only one of which will fit into the antenna port of your aftermarket head unit. Wrap the unused antenna lead in a piece of soft cloth with a zip so it does not rattle behind the dashboard and stuff it out of the way.

Did you notice any change in the reception once you only had one hooked up? Would a Y/pigtail solve the issue. I'm out in the sticks a bit and it would be nice to still pick up the stations I do now. I always assume that when can manufactures incur an expense, it serves a purpose or they'd delete it from the production line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-STERIO-A...item5d3c5296e3

Last edited by stb616; 01-26-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have experience of using the Metra ASWC-1 steering wheel control interface on their vehicle (2003 D2 in my case)? I'd like to fit a Kenwood radio/CD/MP3 player but would also like to keep the steering wheel controls.
Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Electronics Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Electronics

Old 01-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I've been kicking around picking that up myself. Just haven't been able to decide yet if it's worth it to me

Old 01-29-2015, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
Did you notice any change in the reception once you only had one hooked up? Would a Y/pigtail solve the issue. I'm out in the sticks a bit and it would be nice to still pick up the stations I do now. I always assume that when can manufactures incur an expense, it serves a purpose or they'd delete it from the production line.

Car Sterio Antenna Ant Splitter Y Aux Adaptor 2 Female 1 Male 12 inch US Seller | eBay
I didn't notice any difference in AM or FM reception at all by using only one antenna wire. I believe the second (smaller connector) wire is engineered for non-US radio bands at the extreme ends of the broadcast range, so there's probably no benefit in hooking it up. In fact, if you use a Y-connector you will likely change the impedance of the antenna and reception could actually get worse.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Does anyone have experience of using the Metra ASWC-1 steering wheel control interface on their vehicle (2003 D2 in my case)? I'd like to fit a Kenwood radio/CD/MP3 player but would also like to keep the steering wheel controls.
Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Electronics
I would like to know, too. The one bummer about installing an aftermarket head unit was losing my steering wheel controls.

Richard, you should start a new thread on the DII front page to see if someone has one of these.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Electronics
I know you need to have a compatible deck. They don't work with everything. Look into one from a source that actually has someone that can answer questions (crutchfeild, or even some ebay sellers) I was going to do one of those setups, but the deck I bought isn't compatible with the controls and I didn't feel spending the extra money.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I am installing my Pioneer avh4000nex in my 03 Disco 2, and the correct connection kits are 1. PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface for the land rover, 2. metra 70-1786(for alpine premium system) to connect to the trucks harness. I purchased a dash console from eBay for 40.00 so i can do my fabricating on it before i tear into my dash.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
The only thing I hate about aftermarkets is that the steering wheel controls no longer work. I've been told if you get a higher end replacement there's way to make it work, but I'm not that motivated to spend all the extra $$

Someone just posted a link for an adapter that enabled use of the steering wheel controls with aftermarket head units, but it ain't cheap; upwards of $90. Use the 'search' feature...it is your friend!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo