Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension problems on 2000 discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension problems on 2000 discovery II

My 2000 Discovery II is sagging in the rear( down to the bumpstops )almost every time I park it. Sometimes it will air up when I start it and sometimes it will not. I checked fuse under hood (30amp) and it is good. All doors are shut. I do not understand how it can deflate sometimes and not deflate at other times. It has 127,000 miles and the air bags do not seem to be leaking. When I park, it only takes a few minutes to deflate. The button in the dash to raise the rear, beeps but does not raise it anymore either. Please help me

Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Air suspension problems on 2000 discovery II

Your air suspension is bad. eventually it will not air up at all.
You need to have it looked at. Not much you can do yourself. It is a common problem on LR's with the air suspension, there is a coil converstion kit so that you will never have this problem again.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Get some soapy water and put it around the air springs to see if they are leaking. Also, check the connections inside the compressor housing...it's under the car on the drivers side. I would think you have a leak somewhere if it drops that fast. Best to find it before your compressor goes since it's working overtime. Let us know what you find.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: Spike555

You need to have it looked at. Not much you can do yourself. It is a common problem on LR's with the air suspension, there is a coil converstion kit so that you will never have this problem again.
I disagree. There is a lot you can do with the suspension. I switched my entire system to coils, hated the ride, and switched back to the SLS. I replaced the air bags, the compressor and half the hoses no problem. I agree that converting would keep you from having problems, but the kit is $250 + shipping and you have to take it to stealer to change the settings...my stealer is $140 minumum charge. That's about $400 to convert when the problem might be an airbag, a compressor, or just a loose hose. All of which can be had for way under $400.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: humroot

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I disagree. There is a lot you can do with the suspension. I switched my entire system to coils, hated the ride, and switched back to the SLS. I replaced the air bags, the compressor and half the hoses no problem. I agree that converting would keep you from having problems, but the kit is $250 + shipping and you have to take it to stealer to change the settings...my stealer is $140 minumum charge. That's about $400 to convert when the problem might be an airbag, a compressor, or just a loose hose. All of which can be had for way under $400.

Humroot is right about the price, but then you'll still be driving that Disco that can.... might.... and most likely will let you down and most likely at a very unopportunate moment. And you'll again have to dive under with your stupid bottle of soapy water,if you brought it, wait....What if its dark out and you don't have lighting...or in the middle of winter.... or when you're just all dressed up coming out of a restaurant or coming out of the house in the morning to go to work...... or hours from home !!! for crying out loud, I understand that some decide to keep it when they just bought a disco with SLS and no signs of trouble. But the second you see how frustrated it can be, ditch it !!! There's a reason why dealerships have the conversion in stock !!!

Funny humroot hated the ride, cause most peolpe that did the switch swear that it rides better. Like me, but then again I went with the Old man Emu susp. at the same time and the bigger diameter tires could very well explain why my truck now rides better than with the sls.

Was forgeting to add that my dealer didn't charge me tocancel the SLS system. Took 5 minutes.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Winching

Darover,

You are absolutely right. The peace of mind is definitely a factor. I remember driving home on the bump stops several times from work because something broke. When I switched to coils, I still had the 18" rims on and it made the ride too harsh...the rear end was all over the place. My problem was the compressor. It broke the day I had my wife's aunt and mother-in-law in the jump seats. It must have been over 500 lbs back there. I swear that's why it broke, but I will NEVER tell my wife that! Since I put it back in, I used Arnott bags and got a new compressor and it's been fine. Never loses air and it's great off road and pulling a trailer. I said I took off the conversion kit, but I never said I got rid of it...it's still in my garage. I'll keep the air until something breaks that costs a fortune, like the valve block. But it really hasn't cost me that much to keep it working. Lifetime warranty on the bags too. Got the compressor off eBay for $100. It works for me, but may not work for everyone.

And you must have some really nice dealers up there in Canada. I've never been to one that offered anything for free.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, dealers up here ( in my region anyway) are nothing like what I hear you guys describe. In fact, I've said it before, but the service manager is an experiencedRover fanatic and a very involved regional LR club member. I've still had my share of happenings that didn't please me, but nothing like in the u.s.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:47 AM
5th Gear

Hey rags2002, try and locate the problem first. I had exactly the same issue.my compressor and valve were working fine, couldn"t find any line or join leaks. Found a small airbag leak - so ordered 2 replacements from Arnott Inds for $260. Took me 3 hours to install myself and I'm no expert. All you need is a good trolley jack and stands. It's pretty easy.

Braitabroad1

Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Winching

Man, lucky you. Last time I was at the dealer (for the airbags) they told me I needed new head gaskets and wanted to schedule it. Quote was over 2K. I took it to independant shop that works on Jags and they said it was the valve cover gaskets and the throttle body and the head gaskets were fine. They replaced the throttle body gasket and valve cover gaskets and I haven't had a problem since...and this was 2 years ago. Funny thing was, when I was leaving, the mechanic gave me his cell number and told me he could fix it cheaper. Also, there was another couple there that got the same story...they needed head gaskets. I have been back there once, only because I needed to buya coolant hose in a hurry.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

I have a 2000 Discovery with the exact same problem. It started after I had tires put on by a local tire dealer. Disco Dave told me that the computer needed to be cleared because there most likely was a falt code. (I am probably not explaining as he did) but I am having a hard time finding someone that is honest enough to look at it. The dealer insists that I need new bags or the coil conversion before even looking at it. I have been dealing with it for now. When I park it I put it up in the off-road mode and it stays up every time. I had only 2 occasions where it dropped while driving and would not come up. Not a pleasant ride. Again after sitting awhile, I start up the truck and it would raise up again.
I currenlty have my truck for sale and did not want to sink the money in but may go with the coil conversion if I can not find an honest mechanic with a laptop.

Good luck with yours.

Quick Reply: Air suspension problems on 2000 discovery II