Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator replacement video

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Alternator replacement video

Hey guys I think my alternator is toast. Battery symbol illuminated in red on the dash cluster and weak power throughout the vehicle. Drove to Autozone, had the battery swapped again and had them test the system and they concluded that the battery is not getting any charge from the alternator. Their tester also read low voltage even with the battery swapped. We found a little bit of green corrosion on one of the bolts on the back of the alternator. Drove the truck back to work and will have to leave it over night. Dont get paid until later this week and Autozone does not have any in stock. Already asking around and seeing what my options are. Wont have much $$$ in pocket this week cause Im suppose to participate in Winter Romp, but if I dont find a quick solution that wont happen.

Anyways I found a how to video on youtube for replacing the alternator on a 1998 Disco 1, is this pretty much the same process for the Disco 2?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Yes, that's about what it looks like. The upper rad hose on the D2 gets in the way a little, but not an issue. Consider replacing the Belt, tensioner and the 2 idler pulleys at the same time if you have the extra $ like this> Land Rover Belt Tensioner Kit: Discovery 2 And Range Rover P38

IDK if you saw this vid, but it gives a good look with all the BS bits removed before you get to the alt. How To Replace Serpentine Belt On Discovery 2

You'll get it, not a hard job to do at all.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Paul Grant will probly sell you a used alt for cheap.

Also, you might have an alt/starter shop in your town that can just fix yours. Those places are normally dirt cheap.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 02-10-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a used one that works or a new bosch one off amazon. I got the 150amp one for the p38 off amazon. It was the cheapest anywhere and it's got an extra 20amps over the D2 alternator. Whatever you do don't go rebuilt from one of those chain stores. Quality control is $#!+ and at the end of it you'll be doing what I said in the first place but they'll have already shipped in your core so there's no gettin that back to rebuild for later.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Madlands
Get a used one that works or a new bosch one off amazon. I got the 150amp one for the p38 off amazon. It was the cheapest anywhere and it's got an extra 20amps over the D2 alternator. Whatever you do don't go rebuilt from one of those chain stores. Quality control is $#!+ and at the end of it you'll be doing what I said in the first place but they'll have already shipped in your core so there's no gettin that back to rebuild for later.

I already replaced the serp belt while replacing the power steering pump and hoses. Ill wait on the tensioner pullies until later on when I have more money and time.

Can you send me a link to that alternator from amazon? Someone else said they bought a higher amp alternator for their rover as well but they dont remember which one. If Rovers North cant help me with a favor then Ill consider getting it from amazon.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I know 3 people that went with this alternator and had good results. I'm not sure but this might be the one from amazon as well > 100 New Alternator for Land Rover Discovery II 2 4L 4 6L 150A One yr Warranty | eBay

Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

X2 on not getting one from a chain store. I am going through this very thing with my starter. My original lasted for 140k miles. When it failed, I was in a hurry to get it going, so I bought a "lifetime warranty, quality tested" remanufactured starter from the auto parts store I work in. It sounded funny (high pitched almost small import car sound) from day one. It has lasted about 11 days. New starter coming from Rovers North on Friday.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...roblems-57950/

Jafir posted the part # in my thread.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Ive bought two from the fellow pn ebay and have had no problems

Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM
TReK

Alright so I found a local D2 owner who just happened to have a spare alternator sitting on his shelf for the past 5 years now. I guess it has around 80k on it and it was pulled from a early D2. Different part number and although it fits on the later model D2 the ports on the back of the alternator are in a different spot, making it difficult to connect the large red power supply cable.

My ultra-gauge says my volts are between 13.5-14. Is that the norm? Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Alternator replacement video