Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another leaking upper radiator hose T

Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default another leaking upper radiator hose T

GEEEE!
we haven't have the truck for even 1/2 year and there is an issue on the same spot twice.....coincidence or a particular symptom?

Anyways, at the beginning was the bleeding screw, got the brass one and now the T itself cracked right where the bleeding screw goes...

Again, is this a symptom? like a faulty thermostat?

will post some pics soon

Old 04-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here it is...

Attached Files
Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

That T is brittle, plastic, crap. Mine disintegrated, too.

I made a new T with pipe fittings at Lowes. Metal.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

You just change the tee/hose assy in January didn't you? Did you ever do the thermostat change on it?

Those tees generally take years for the plastic to deteriorate even when subjected to serious overheating and doubt your thermostat would be the cause. Possible different expansion rate of brass screw could cause a crack? Never heard of that happening and unlikely unless you just received a defective part from LR. No issues yet with my brass screw and carefully inspected hose junctions.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

you really need to update every hose and hose assembly on your truck. When one of them goes, the next is sure to follow. Needs coolant flushed well and refill with green ethylene. Get a new heavy duty fan clutch, 180 Tstat, everything. An aging cooling system on a D2 will be the death of the vehicle. Weakest link on the truck and will absolutely lead to catastrophic failure. The plastic lines get replaced with new tubing and possibly radiator too. One of them is from the outlet of manifold so you will have to remove some accessories to get at it but all of this is required for dependability. Don't skimp on anything!

Old 04-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

If you replaced only the screw and not the whole unit then it was just a matter of time. If the hose assembly is new then could be defective or screw was torqued too much. Can't tell you but def check everything else out

Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 68 Posts

Had that problem too. Stinkin' plastic. I got a copper "T" from the hardware store, a big bolt, an O ring and a butterfly nut and made a metal fitting. Same functionality for bleeding, but it's metal and I haven't had a problem since. Inexpensive permanent fix.

I flared the openings and coated them with indian head gasket shellac to make sure the hoses wouldn't just pop off under pressure.

I can post some photos if you're interested.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by T-rex
Had that problem too. Stinkin' plastic. I got a copper "T" from the hardware store, a big bolt, an O ring and a butterfly nut and made a metal fitting. Same functionality for bleeding, but it's metal and I haven't had a problem since. Inexpensive permanent fix.

I flared the openings and coated them with indian head gasket shellac to make sure the hoses wouldn't just pop off under pressure.

Please do.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes please!

Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I did the same thing
But I never put in a bleeder screw...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another leaking upper radiator hose T