Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried the "Prime Choice" brake rotors and ceramic pads on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone tried the "Prime Choice" brake rotors and ceramic pads on eBay?

I recently picked up a second 03 Disco,mostly because it was white and a clean body,.....Love a white Disco. I bought my pads and rotors for my other Disco 3 years ago off ebay. I think the rotors were Delco or something similar, $60 for both fronts,......still going great 3 years later. I used Akebono pads that I think were $70. Looking for those brake rotors,.....don't see them,.....I see Brembo, Pagid, a few with no name and lots of "Prime Choice" Including a set of front and rear rotors with ceramic pads all around for $117 shipped.

Here's the link: 2 COMPLETE FRONT & REAR PAIR 4 DISC BRAKE ROTORS AND 8 CERAMIC PADS FULL SET KIT | eBay

Anyone tried them?

Brian in Austin

Old 10-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Never heard of them, brakes are important so I stick with known brands.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've bought these no-name brakes from eBay before. They've always met my expectations, though not particularly good in any aspect. If I was selling the truck soon, I'd go for it. I'm sure they'll be fine. Considering the age and reputation of the seller, I think it's a reasonable option.

If you're keeping it for a while, I'd prefer to have pads that I know will not have huge fade or dust/squealing problems, along with rotors that have a reputation for not warping, etc. Then again, I do some towing, and regularly drive up and down mountains, so I'm a bit more sensitive to quality braking. The last 2 Disco 2's I've bought have both had horrendous brakes when I picked them up, and a quality setup has made all the difference.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by squirt
I've bought these no-name brakes from eBay before. They've always met my expectations, though not particularly good in any aspect. If I was selling the truck soon, I'd go for it. I'm sure they'll be fine. Considering the age and reputation of the seller, I think it's a reasonable option.

If you're keeping it for a while, I'd prefer to have pads that I know will not have huge fade or dust/squealing problems, along with rotors that have a reputation for not warping, etc. Then again, I do some towing, and regularly drive up and down mountains, so I'm a bit more sensitive to quality braking. The last 2 Disco 2's I've bought have both had horrendous brakes when I picked them up, and a quality setup has made all the difference.
So, what rotors have you tried and had good luck with,.....warping is my big concern as well. Seems like warped front rotors are the norm on Discos that I have bought over the years (just bought my 5th one)

Last edited by bcolins; 10-25-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

I rock the cheaper set from AB.

Warped rotors is vehicle and driver dependant.
Consider this, the brake pedal on a disco isn't exactly confidence inspiring. That added in with 4k lbs of steel, iron and plastic being consistently hard panic stopped, and more importantly, not being released to allow the rotor to cool.

I see the brake pad marks on the rotors all the time, and just from that alone, you can tell a rotor is warped.
When I bought my truck, the rotors were warped. New pads and rotors, 25k miles later and they are still holding strong. When I do have to do a panic stop, when I do come to a stop, I release the pedal just enough to let the truck roll, prevents hot spots on the rotors and prevents warpage.

I'm not exactly driving like a grandmother on Sunday afternoon. I have had 8 points on my license at one point or another...

Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dgi 07
I rock the cheaper set from AB.

Warped rotors is vehicle and driver dependant.
Consider this, the brake pedal on a disco isn't exactly confidence inspiring. That added in with 4k lbs of steel, iron and plastic being consistently hard panic stopped, and more importantly, not being released to allow the rotor to cool.

I see the brake pad marks on the rotors all the time, and just from that alone, you can tell a rotor is warped.
When I bought my truck, the rotors were warped. New pads and rotors, 25k miles later and they are still holding strong. When I do have to do a panic stop, when I do come to a stop, I release the pedal just enough to let the truck roll, prevents hot spots on the rotors and prevents warpage.

I'm not exactly driving like a grandmother on Sunday afternoon. I have had 8 points on my license at one point or another...
Ive bought plenty of vehicles with warped rotors,....have never warped rotors on anything that was not warped when I got it,.......that said,....nice tip on letting the vehicle slowly advance after a hard stop to distribute heat exchange around the rotor. My 03 disco that I have had for 3 years came to me with a high frequency vibration,....after rebuilding both driveshafts,......still had the vibration,.......took a while to figure out that the ebrake brake drum on the rear driveshaft was warped. It dawned on me one day that that might be the issue,....I hopped in the truck drove down the street, gently pulled the ebrake lever while moving,...and sure enough,........I could feel the warp through the ebrake lever,......tried turning it down,......took care of much of it,.....eventually found another at a junk yard,,...installed it and problem solved.

Last edited by bcolins; 10-25-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"Prime Choice" sounds like a brand of luncheon meat!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I've used Brake Motive stuff off of Ebay on 3 of my D2's. The Rotors & Ceramic Brake Pads are actually made by Power Stop. The rotors are cross drilled/slotted, and zinc coated. The finish holds up quite well and I've had no issues with the rotors warping or wearing out prematurely. The Power Stop Ceramic Brake Pads leave hardly any dust, and they DO NOT squeak. I think the complete set of F/R Rotors, and F/R Ceramic Brake pads shipped was like 217.00 the last time I bought a set.

I've run Brembo Rotors, and EBC pads before and the Rotors for the F/R alone were nearly 500-600.00 and they lasted just as long as the Brake Motive "Power Stop" stuff. EBC Greenstuff stopped great but OMG I've never run a set of brake pads that left such nasty and thick brake dust!!!!! Luckily the brake dust wasn't hard to remove.

I only went with Brake Motive after I read up on the Power Stop stuff in a 4Wheel Parts magazine and several online reviews. Brake Motive usually gets everything to ya in 3-4 days tops.

I recently bought an 06 LR3 that had the nastiest brake dust leaving brake pads. I ordered the Brake Motive Power Stop stuff and now my LR3 isn't leaving hardly any brake dust, and the rotors and pads were a perfect fit.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I've used Brake Motive stuff off of Ebay on 3 of my D2's. The Rotors & Ceramic Brake Pads are actually made by Power Stop. The rotors are cross drilled/slotted, and zinc coated. The finish holds up quite well and I've had no issues with the rotors warping or wearing out prematurely. The Power Stop Ceramic Brake Pads leave hardly any dust, and they DO NOT squeak. I think the complete set of F/R Rotors, and F/R Ceramic Brake pads shipped was like 217.00 the last time I bought a set.

I've run Brembo Rotors, and EBC pads before and the Rotors for the F/R alone were nearly 500-600.00 and they lasted just as long as the Brake Motive "Power Stop" stuff. EBC Greenstuff stopped great but OMG I've never run a set of brake pads that left such nasty and thick brake dust!!!!! Luckily the brake dust wasn't hard to remove.

I only went with Brake Motive after I read up on the Power Stop stuff in a 4Wheel Parts magazine and several online reviews. Brake Motive usually gets everything to ya in 3-4 days tops.

I recently bought an 06 LR3 that had the nastiest brake dust leaving brake pads. I ordered the Brake Motive Power Stop stuff and now my LR3 isn't leaving hardly any brake dust, and the rotors and pads were a perfect fit.

$105 for both front rotors and ceramic pads. Seemed like a great deal for plated, drilled rotors,....I went ahead and ordered them. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Yep zero complaints here on the 4 LR's I've had them on not counting my 08 Hummer H3 Alpha and soon my friends Nissan.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the "Prime Choice" brake rotors and ceramic pads on eBay?