Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB bumper 99 to 02 versus 03 to 04

Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

But if you winch with the 99-02 style it will rotate into the fenders.

You should get the 03-04 style. :P

The following users liked this post:
ZGPhoto (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Don't forget, if you get the 03-04 style you will not have any recovery points. You should get the 99-02 style.
Thank for that observation. Recovery points are important because I won't have a winch at the outset. I saw another comment about about the strength of the mounts. A little confusing. I am not worried about the fog lights. Studying the pictures the two models look a little different, mainly in the front.

My only other concern that I won't be able to address until I have it on is whether I will have trouble with my 33's. Hate to cut a new bumper but the tires were more expensive.

Any other observations?my discount expires tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jafir
But if you winch with the 99-02 style it will rotate into the fenders.

You should get the 03-04 style. :P
Jafir I know you have helped me before with mechanical issues. Are you joking about rotating into the fenders?!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

They really did improve the mounts on the 03-04. But they are still somewhat crush-can design so they aren't perfect for HD use. But sure, there are lots of stories of people with ARB bumpers hat moved. Sometimes from poor installation, sometimes from a weak mount design.

I ran 255/85R16 tires with the 03 style arb and I think zack had a similar or the same size with the 99 style. I had no issues with the tires rubbing the bumper.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Camel Trophy

They really did improve the mounts on the 03-04. But they are still somewhat crush-can design so they aren't perfect for HD use. But sure, there are lots of stories of people with ARB bumpers hat moved. Sometimes from poor installation, sometimes from a weak mount design.

I ran 255/85R16 tires with the 03 style arb and I think zack had a similar or the same size with the 99 style. I had no issues with the tires rubbing the bumper.
I was fixated on TJM but when I finally decided to buy they had raised the price a hundred bucks and that just pissed me off. And I would have to pay tax (in state). And shipping. I drive a 15 year old truck.. I am CHEAP.

I'm really glad you chimed in. THANKS.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Camel Trophy

My tires are ridiculous. 285/75. With 2 inch spacers. Big mistake.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

I liked the way the ARB looks, and it's certainly stronger than the stock plastic, of course, but I'm not sure I'd buy another. Maybe.

As was mentioned, the 03 doesn't have recovery points, and the ones that are on the 99 are pretty flimsy. I'd try to get something that attaches to the chassis maybe where the crush can bolts on instead of using a recovery point on an airbag compatible bumper.

The ARB also is pretty huge.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Camel Trophy

I liked the way the ARB looks, and it's certainly stronger than the stock plastic, of course, but I'm not sure I'd buy another. Maybe.

As was mentioned, the 03 doesn't have recovery points, and the ones that are on the 99 are pretty flimsy. I'd try to get something that attaches to the chassis maybe where the crush can bolts on instead of using a recovery point on an airbag compatible bumper.

Thanks again.

Can I ask what you got?

My main use is on road and my main concern is deer. I know the ARB ruins approach angle but, according to their site, it sticks out to protect the cooling system in kangaroo impacts, when a long way from home (as I often am... Away from home, not surrounded by kangaroos).

Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Wait. I just caught something you said. Bolts in to the bumper recovery points?! I thought this bolted to the frame horns. My bumper is bent from a low speed impact, as are my crush cans.. Ugh.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing yet. I sold the D2 and the LR3 is stock and so is the 90.

For the 90 I'm thinking about a rockware bumper. But that's a ways down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ARB bumper 99 to 02 versus 03 to 04