Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUX channel for originale Alpine head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUX channel for originale Alpine head unit

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if it's possible to acces the AUX channel on an Alpine stock head unit without an extra module or converter? What I want is an USB input somewhere in the dash or glove compartement so that I'm able to connect an iPhone or iPod. What are my best options? It's for a D2 year 2002.

I'm from Holland so excuse my English..

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling

I have an 02 and the radio didn't work so I just installed a new one with the aux and USB. I went with a flip out screen but eBay is full of inexpensive radios with those options.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there is an online company that will add an extra audio input to your head unit for like $125.00, shouldnt be hard to find one office in the us and one in the uk i believe.

this is a complete stereo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-Land-R...3D151306186307

here is the company i was thinking of :http://www.gb4x4radios.com/

Last edited by drowssap; 03-20-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for all the answers:

I really would love to keep the car original with this unit.

I've used these adapters (not usb but directly for iPod) before on blaupunkt/grundig radio's, the blue connector is the same as the one for this unit. But on the radio's I had before I knew how to switch the unit to aux without a module. I was wondering if someone knew how to switch it to AUX, or isn't it possible without an expensive module?

Maybe these stereo's don't have that AUX function, unfortanatly I haven't got the user manual so I can't look it up.

Last edited by Thewl; 03-20-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can get an adapter like that and it will plug in under the passenger seat where the CD would be. then to put the stereo in CD mode to use that as an input.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Will this one plug in under the passenger seat where the cd player is?

ROVER LANDROVER 99-05 Auxiliary 3.5mm Car Adapter

Thanks

Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Thewl
Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if it's possible to acces the AUX channel on an Alpine stock head unit without an extra module or converter? What I want is an USB input somewhere in the dash or glove compartement so that I'm able to connect an iPhone or iPod. What are my best options? It's for a D2 year 2002.
Hello Thewl. There is some confusion here ^
There is no AUX channel on the 2002 Alpine stock head. An auxiliar audio signal input can be implemented, either with a switching jack to share an audio path or by sacrificing an audio path as AM or cassette that you do not care to use any more.
USB means 'universal serial bus'. That is not an audio signal. Wrong terminology for what you want.

To implement the addition of an external audio (AUX) input, you need very fine soldering skills to do some electronic surgery.

Open the top stereo lid, and locate IC202 (TEA6320) on its main board. It is a 32 pin surface mount integrated circuit. If I remember well, it is under the cassette player mechanism assembly that will need removal for access.

Pins 15 and 18 are cassette left & right. Pins 11 and 22 are AM left & right.
Choose what you want to sacrifice to obtain Auxiliar input.

Critical ----> Lift by desoldering and prying up a millimetre the set of pins of choice, no mistakes allowed. The pins should not contact the board pads or anything else, just hover raised.
Solder a 1 microfarad capacitor in series to each lifted pin. Better short leads.
THOSE are your auxiliar inputs feedpoints.

Solder wires there for an external audio jack, or to a frontal mounted audio jack. stereo 3.5mm is better.

If you chose cassette, insert an endless cassette. Pulsing "Tape" enables audio from your external player.

If you chose AM, pulsing "AM" button enables audio from your external player.

(L) IC pin----capacitor----------------------------------------------------------aux jack (L)
(R) IC pin----capacitor---------------------------------------------------------aux jack (R)
Any grond point -----------------------------------------------------------------aux jack common

Route with slack and secure (better hot glue) the wire safely away from mechanisms to either the outside or somewhere on the front panel. Plug your music player there.

Example of one lifted pin :
----> https://hifiduino.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=595&h=353

Discard (cut off) the male end to use its wiring soldered to the remaining capacitors leads :
----> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...GL._SY355_.jpg
or panel mount :
----> http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/COS535.jpg
Capacitors may look like :
----> http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...Capacitors.jpg

Last edited by Externet; 03-20-2015 at 11:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Externet:
humroot (08-06-2017), Motorhead1 (03-20-2015), slammin_LWB (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 PM
5th Gear

An adapter like that would be nice, when I have the car I'll look for the cable. I know that no cd-changer is fitted.

@Externet: Wow thanks for your detailed DIY.. Sorry for the confusion, that is yet another problem- What I originally wanted was a connector directly for the iPod and iPhone, only one device has the original big connector and the other the new smal lightning connector. An usb port is not analog idd, it would be ideal because I want to charge and play music at the same time, and be able to use both of them. To make things more complicated

I'm not used to that fine soldering, but is sounds pretty straightforward when you explain it. I'm going too think about, I now at least know the unit doesn't have a direct AUX function so it rules out my original plan to use a simple cable like I showed, and play music and charge at the same time..
I could always make something out of such a cable if I have the input signal on the unit, or find a module for it that has a usb port built in and pay a bit more..

Thanks so far everybody

Last edited by Thewl; 03-20-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:14 AM
5th Gear

Today I've had a chance to look at the car and made some photo's.

I think I'll go for this Land Rover AUX adapter lead Discovery Range Rover 3.5mm jack iPod MP3 CTVLRX002 | eBay and solder a cable like I showed in my 2nd post to RCA for it.
And then use an adapter for the iPhone like this APPLE 30 PIN TO 8 PIN LIGHTNING ADAPTER CONVERTER For iPhone 4 5 5S 6 iPad iPod | eBay. It should work, in theory.. And less chance for me to mess up the original head unit.

Last edited by Thewl; 03-22-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: AUX channel for originale Alpine head unit