Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby car seat installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Baby car seat installation

Hey guys, so my wife and I just had a baby last week. We got the car seat installed easy enough in our main drive (06 Toyota Corolla). We have a travel system thing that the car seat pops out of a base. We have two bases, one for each car. On the bases there are a couple of seatbelt latch things. In my Corolla they slide in between the seats and clip into a hidden latch. Does the Rover have the same thing? I felt dumb last night trying to figure it out. Finally we just had to use the regular belt and attach it to the base, which works, but I would like to use the latches (they keep the base in place much better). We are installing it in the middle seat. It is a backwards facing carseat and it does fit as we have had it in there, just buckled in using the normal seatbelt. I searched the RAVE and owners manual and couldn't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I dont think we have the latches in the D2's...I use the center seat belt with the medal adjusting clamp that comes with car seat (it keeps the belt taunt).

Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We don't have any latch system. I was sad to find that when I got my rover. You will also find a total lack of leg room once the seat is in. That back seat doesn't give much room. Even now my 2yo is forward facing behind the driver and I have to scoot my seat forward to give him any leg room. Which then squishes me. I'm 6'1.
Also, congrats, welcome to the misery!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I have the latch system in my 2004 D2. We have two car seats back there and it works great. maybe a call to Paul grant or someone who might sell you the parts to retrofit the 04 latch system into an earlier truck ?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken08
We don't have any latch system. I was sad to find that when I got my rover. You will also find a total lack of leg room once the seat is in. That back seat doesn't give much room. Even now my 2yo is forward facing behind the driver and I have to scoot my seat forward to give him any leg room. Which then squishes me. I'm 6'1.
Also, congrats, welcome to the misery!
My very short but rotund French neighbour got stuck between the rear passenger door and the seat squab not a pretty sight I can assure you. Larger or taller people have said the rear passenger seats are cramped for leg room also.

As for babies seats, I stopped carrying them as I found I couldn't eat a whole one

Seriously, the D2 is lacking in Iso fixings for baby seats but they did put them in later Discos and Range Rovers. (I assume LR considered most couldn't afford D2's and babies )

Old 03-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input! That's a bummer they don't have the latches... not a huge deal. @Robert Booth, good to know about the 04s. Maybe I'll find a scrap yard and see if I could poach the necessary parts... would it have to be the entire seat? Or just a few parts?

Haha and yes, I have realized with the short wheelbase of the Rover, it's not the most comfortable when you are hauling around normal size people...

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My 03 has the latch system as well. I use it but I also run the seatbelt through the seat. Hope the attached pics may help.

Attached Thumbnails Baby car seat installation-img_0293.jpg   Baby car seat installation-img_0294.jpg   Baby car seat installation-img_0295.jpg   Baby car seat installation-img_0296.jpg   Baby car seat installation-img_0297.jpg  

Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

congrats on the baby! we have a little one who is still rear facing in her car seat. also have a 2000 D2. no latch system, as mentioned. we use the middle seat belt. please, please, please make sure you are using it correctly. precious cargo...

Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 01 with the same latching system as thesoundguru. Unfortunately, they are only directly behind the 2 front seats. Absent in the middle seat. Congrats on the baby!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundguru
My 03 has the latch system as well. I use it but I also run the seatbelt through the seat. Hope the attached pics may help.
I was always told to only use one or the other, not both the latch and belt.

My 01 has latching points in the back of the rear seats (one on each side), and one up above the center of the rear door. Unfortunately I don't have the latch in the bottoms of the seats for the rear-facing child seat.

Quick Reply: Baby car seat installation