Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Gate (door) stuck in closed position...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Gate (door) stuck in closed position...

I went to open my back gate last night to throw some groceries into my 01, and the handle seemed to come forward (like it is supposed to) but then stayed in that position. I cant pull the gate open nor push it from the inside. Is there anything I can try before setting off to see/pay a mechanic? The lock still moves up and down but the door just wont open and the handle seems stuck in the 'pulled' position. Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Using a screw driver covered with a cloth, pop the oval Land Rover emblem out of the handle. Now you can spray the handle mechanism with WD-40 and move it into the correct position to open the door. Repeat as necessary.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling

you have to put the key in, turn it like your going to unlock it, and open the handle. There is a spring that goes bad in the handle, takes two or three hours to replace I believe.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Drifting

The spring does not need to be replaced, the dealership should be honest enough to tell you that all it needs is to be lubricated. The design of the back door forces dirt and water up into the handle and it gets stuck. This is a 2 minutes fix not 3 hours of labor.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 just spray it.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Really? I was told it needed to be replaced, maybe I should lube it and see if it works on my landrover. I have to use the key to open it.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Drifting

Mine was the exact same way as yours (stuck in the pulled position). I sprayed it with PB Blaster and worked it back and forth a couple times and it popped open.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Use silicon spray, it wont attract dirt like Liquid Wrench or cause rust like WD-40.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the responses...

Except Im not sure where this LandRover Emblem is that you speak of...

Is it supposed to be on the black plastic casing that covers the handle?

also, someone mentioned turning the key, do you mean in the ignition? i dont have a manual lock/unlock for the rear (i dont believe)...

Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Look at the cargo door, on the handle is the LR emblem, use your key, yes your ignition key, and pop it out.
Then take your silicon spray and spray everything that you can see, work the handle, spray, work handle, spray, keep doing this until you feel the handle start to move.
Open the door and then spray the latch, close door, open door, spray latch, close door, open door.
Stick the straw for the silicon spray can into the key hole on the cargo door, spray it good, stick your key into the key hole and lock/unlock the door, spray some more into the key hole, use the key again.
Next on the bottom of the door there is a door stay, spray the roller and the slide and then close the door, open the door, spray some more, close door, open door.
Now go around to ALL of the other doors and do this exact same thing to them, lube the latch, key hole, hinges, everything that moves.
Open the hood, spray the hood latch that is right ontop of the radiator, close hood, open hood, spray again.
Now here is the key to not having this problem again, lube all door latches, hinges, key holes, etc. every 6 months.
It even says to do this in the owners manual under owner maintence.
In the winter time, depending on where you live, you will want to lube the cargo door latch every month. Road salt and dirt and grim get in there and gum things up.
When I worked in a gravel pit I had to lube mine once a week.
You can buy a can of silicon spray lube almost anywhere.

Quick Reply: Back Gate (door) stuck in closed position...