Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Gate (door) stuck in closed position...

Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my Disco I had to turn the key to unlock as I pulled the handle to open the door. I dealt with it for several months until one day I tried it and it would not open from the outside or the inside. I had to remove the sub woofers and the rear panel to expose the door latch. I could reach in and push on one of the levers while pulling on the door handle and the door would open. I found that the small spring in the latch had broken. I ordered 3 from the guy in England that sells them on eBay and replaced it myself. Not too difficult, just take a close up picture with your digital camera for use when reassembling and take your time taking everything apart so you don't break any of the plastic fastners on the rods. The hardest part was wiggling the latch assembly out and back into the door. If the lube doesn't work the spring is broken.

Last edited by grussell; 08-05-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys...popped the emblem off and used some wd-40( ok right?) and the handle loosened right up...easy fix...i will go back and spray those other areas today...

another question, in one of the posts it speaks of a key hole for the rear door cargo...am i missing something? , i cant find one on my 01, but i agree it must be there, correct?..little help?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

I have an 00 Disco that has no key hole so I'm pretty sure you don't either. Great advice guys (I have the same problem but it seems to be a spring issue for me). Along the same topic; my passenger side rear door won't open. The lock head moves up and down and when you pull the handle from the inside you can hear the actuator moving. Nothing heard from the outside when you pull the handle. Any hinys?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by seamuspg
thanks guys...popped the emblem off and used some wd-40( ok right?) and the handle loosened right up...easy fix...i will go back and spray those other areas today...
glad you're all set...

for those reading this thread later who might have this problem, if lube doesn't fix it you may want to pop off the interior panel on the rear door and see if anything has become disconnected.

While installing my rear access ladder i somehow knocked a little clip connected to the door handle. After seeing it, it was easily re-attached and working again.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank You... Thank You :)

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit
Using a screw driver covered with a cloth, pop the oval Land Rover emblem out of the handle. Now you can spray the handle mechanism with WD-40 and move it into the correct position to open the door. Repeat as necessary.
OMG... for mtn's I've lived with my door not opening, and in 5 min. you helped me fix this. I can't believe it. I was going to pay someone like I don't know how much to fix it and my 13 yr old kid did it. Like I said in 5 min. Crazy... I just want to thank you so much for your post. Awsome... Awsome!!!!!!! Thank you again.