Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera options

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera options

Any body have any good back up cameras they use either with the stereo system/headunit or a separate video screen or rear view mirror?

I'm looking to tie it into an LED backup light as well…..any suggestions.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Drifting

My 2 cents... I prefer parking sensors over a camera. Camera AND parking sensors is the holy grail (for me). With a camera, you have look at a screen, back at the road/mirrors, back at the screen, back at the road... With park sensors, just look at the road/mirror and go until something beeps.

We just got an SUV with a dash backup cam and I was really surprised how much head swiveling we have to do.

In fairness, the camera IS perfect for when we backout into a narrow street and I don't want to hit the curb with the rear tires. (my driveway setup) If I was concerned about hitting a car and not a curb, the park sensors wold be better. IMHO.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Led backup lights:
Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Work Light bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Work Light bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive

I have them on my dually, wired with a switch on the dash for backing at night, and tailgaters on the highway. Holy hell man they put off some light. I can see through my limo tint at night backing a trailer out to probably 50 feet.

Just put them on a relay and ground them well. If not they flicker and give the guy behind you epilepsy...

Re: camera - amazon is your friend. read the reviews and make the call.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Overlanding

[QUOTE=ATLDisco;538354]Led backup lights:
Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Work Light bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Work Light bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive

I have them on my dually, wired with a switch on the dash for backing at night, and tailgaters on the highway. Holy hell man they put off some light. I can see through my limo tint at night backing a trailer out to probably 50 feet.

Where did you mount them? Bumper or up top over the back cargo door?

Thanks for the responses. Those look nice. I might go with them and a backup camera off amazon, splice in so when in reverse its a light show and I can have some extra vision with the camera if needed. I have lifts and large tires so it would be nice to see a little better behind the truck when backing out.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Overlanding

Along these same lines, I have searched the forum and haven't seen any discussion about adding rear park assist to an SE. Is this possible/practicable? Is the function already prewired? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Overlanding

I'm liking the amazon kit Listed by ATLdisco, but nowI think that I would like to have it as a separate switch from the
reverse lighting though. Im just not sure how to mount it. I don't have a roof rack.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed a Magellan GPS that has a video input then wired up a backup camera. It worked pretty well for a while but it has begun to fail as it ages. The camera only cost about $20 so I can't really complain but I agree with LandyMatt that back up sensors are a better choice. The aftermarket camera options aren't great and getting a decent video display can be tough. I installed it mainly to help out my wife but she finds it difficult to use so that was kind of a waste and she can't stand the Magellan GPS. Plus, on a Discovery if you mount the camera on the license plate it is way off center.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I chose to drill a hole in the middle of the bumper and install the camera. I tapped the power from the power outlet behind the back seat, so it is powered on with the key.
In my case, it is displayed on my 2-din Pioneer Nex, which is hooked up to the reverse signal wire near the inside fuse block. This way it always comes on in reverse, and I can watch it while driving forward if I want.
Back up camera options-img_3669.jpg