Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Nut Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball Joint Nut Sizes?

Hi everybody & happy summer.

PLEASE HELP!

Does anyone know the nut sizes for the front - left/right - top/bottom ball joints? (2001 Disco II)

So I am hoping....praying...I can find these or equivalent nuts tomorrow in Toledo, Ohio so I can finally get my Rover back on the road.

Please help me if you can.

Mad respect ya all, Robover.

Last edited by Robover01; 06-08-2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: grammar and deleted humor (Because it wasn't that funny) and fixed something
Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

These appear to be nylock nuts, and should not normally be reused.

Ball Joint Nut Front Upper for Discovery Series II, Steering & Suspension Parts
Ball Joint Nut Front Lower for Discovery Series II, Steering & Suspension Parts

I don't see anything that lists the size and thread pitch. Your best bet is to just take it with you to the autoparts store. Even if they don't have it, they should be able to determine the specs. Where I live we have a "bolt and screw" company, so I assume a much larger place like Toledo has something similar.

I think it's stupid that the new joints don't come with them. I noticed that on british pacific's website, they sell 3 brands, and the cheapest brand appears to come with the nuts, but the pricier brands do not show it in the photo.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi and thanks Jafir. Unfortunately I can't get to the rover so nothing to size to.

I'm hoping someone here knows the sizes so I don't have to wait four more days getting them from AB.

I called the three closest LR dealers (all in the Detroit area) and the were ALL clueless about the nut (selling or sizing). One parts guy told me my rover didn't even have ball joints???

Last edited by Robover01; 06-08-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Cuz I'm stupid?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The upper is an M14 x 1.5 Nylock. The lower has a different part number, but I can't seem to find a size for it in Microcat.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling

THANK YOU DarylJ! I really appriciate both your and jafir's work you've done on my behalf. Hope I can repay your kindness someday.

Well...one down, one to go. Anybody know the lower bolt size....praying.

Last edited by Robover01; 06-08-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM
Three Wheeling

OK. I just found a nice D2 Steering Knuckle Balljoints Removal and Refitting how-to with pics here:

D2 Steering Knuckle Balljoints Removal and Refitting - A How To - Australian Land Rover Owners

In it it says "Next job is to remove the nuts off the balljoints. The lower one is M24 and the top one is M22"

Can any one confirm this? And would the thread pitch be 1.5? It seems most thread pitches down there (tie rods etc) are 1.5.

I'm losing my mind tonight Googling, Rave manualling and making phone calls. But I'm still trying to keep a sense of humor so ya all don't get bored, annoyed or both.

Thanks everybody.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robover01
In it it says "Next job is to remove the nuts off the balljoints. The lower one is M24 and the top one is M22"
That actually makes more sense than M14. There are about 6 nuts that have very similar part numbers in about the same (one digit difference, or a different alpha suffix) area and I very well may have been on the incorrect one.

I was getting part numbers from Microcat and crossing them with price lists that had sizes on them.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah it's a mess. Thanks a lot for trying. I have exhausted every avenue I can think of. Nobody, not BA, LR dealers, Fasenal, Grainger and/or all the local ma & pa stores have the answer.

It upsets me that AB doesn't point out that you aren't going to get the nuts when you order the whole ball joint. The ball joints require nylox nuts so they really cannot be reused. Interesting fact; of all the places I called looking for these nuts, every single one of them said "the ball joints didn't come with the nuts?" They all said their ball joints come with the nuts so.....

And then there are the three LR dealers I called? They are genuine LR ball joints and they don't stock the nuts or even the ball joints themselves AND can't even tell me what the M-size and thread pitch is? So....

Sorry for going off. I'm losing my job over this so I'm kinda grumpy.

Thanks to everyone here for trying to help. You guys are all right.