Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bank 1 O2 sensor - how to replace?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyH1221GJ
Thanks for the location confirmations everyone. Wish I had the sensor side of the connector so I could splice the broken wires and see if the sensor is still working okay. Anybody know a source for just the connector or have an old one from a bad sensor laying around? Thanks again for the help.
I've got an old sensor. Before the cat, right?

PM me where to send it.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jafir
I've got an old sensor. Before the cat, right?

PM me where to send it.
The one I need is for the rear passenger side (after cat) so the grey connector. Not sure if the orange pre-cat connectors are identical except for color or not? If you have an old one that would fit that would be great. Let me know if it sounds like it would work and I'll get my info pm'd to you. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm pretty sure the grey ones are inverse of the orange ones.

I only have an orange one or two.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Drifting

I'll crawl under this weekend and take a look and get a better idea of what they look like. Will let you know what I find. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I just did all of mine last weekend and still have the junkers - Let me know whatever you need.

Dave

Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm pretty sure the grey ones are inverse of the orange ones.

I only have an orange one or two.
If the orange and grey are simply inverse of the other, then that would mean the plug from a pre-cat o2 sensor would be the same as the receptacle for a post-cat o2 sensor. If that's true then, worst case scenario, you buy a pre cat o2 sensor and rip off the plug.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted to make extensions for my four O² sensors so they would be easier to replace, and searched for a long time on the net but could not find new connectors anywhere.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
I just did all of mine last weekend and still have the junkers - Let me know whatever you need.

Dave
Took a closer closer look tonight and confirmed that the connectors are inverse. The rear gray sensors have the male connector shell side and the front sensors have the orange female side so I definitely need a connector from the post-cat gray connector sensors to try splicing in case my sensor is still good.
Dave - I'll PM you and see what we can arrange. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found them on ebay out of Australia. I'm in a similar situation, my harness end from the computer melted due to the proximity to the exhaust manifold. At first I cut the connector off of the O2 harness and cut the melted connector coming from the engine harness and spliced them together. This solution is not working. I ordered the new connectors, lets hope they work because the dealer won't sell the connector, only the entire engine harness with all connectors SMH. I'm not sure what year your vehicle is, but here's the link New Connector Set for Land Rover Discovery Series 2 4 0L Oxygen Sensor O2 | eBay

Old 07-16-2020, 08:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 351 Likes on 225 Posts

Old thread but I found it useful in replacing both upstream o2 sensors on my truck today so I thought I would throw in my two cents for anyone who might find it useful. I used an oxygen sensor tool which is really helpful, yes you could do it with a wrench, but it’s not worth it in my opinion. Here was my process:
.5) Spray them with liquid wrench the night before
1) Passenger side first, I removed the electrical connectors from the mounting point first, then disconnected the o2 sensor. Using the o2 sensor tool, a couple of extensions, and a breaker bar I was easily able to remove the sensor from the top. Installation was the reverse of removal.
2) Drivers side next, this one is tougher and best done from under the truck. I jacked my truck up a little just to give me some working room. On this side I removed the o2 sensor first and then while it was hanging down reached up and undid the electrical connector with my right hand while pulling down on the o2 sensor with my left hand to disconnect it, this is the toughest part of the whole thing, in my opinion. Installation is the reverse of removal- o2 sensor in first then reach up and plug in the connector- you have to do this by feel, orient the plug so the clasp is towards the back and push until you hear the magical click.

AB has a video that’s worth watching but I did not understand what he was going on about for removing the drivers side connector, but give it a watch anyway.

Last edited by greisinb; 07-16-2020 at 09:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jmaddox82 (04-02-2021)