Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG K02 or General Grabber AT2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't say one negative thing about the bfg's. They are great in all conditions and the tread life is ridiculous, I got 85,000 out of my last set and I still sold them after I replaced them on Craigslist for $200

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been very happy with the AT2's on road, sand and mud. would not take them on any serious rocks with the 2 ply sidewall. sounds like you're on the right track.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:30 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks again for all the useful responses! Hopefully this thread will aid other members in their search for a new tire as well. On a last note can anyone confirm the sidewall ply thickness of the BFG K02's? One Jeep forum member said they were 3 ply on the sidewall. Is this true?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:45 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

The All-Terrain T/A KO2 ("KO2" for Key benefit On- and Off-road with 2 identifying it as BFGoodrich's 2nd generation KO tire) is an On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed to meet the needs of jeep, pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who want confidence and control on- and off- road. The All-Terrain T/A KO2 was designed to deliver go-anywhere traction along with outstanding durability, great wear and year-round traction, even in snow.
All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires feature a racing derived cut-, chip- and tear-resistant tread compound that delivers longer life (up to 2 times the previous generation tire's treadwear on gravel roads). The compound is molded into an aggressive, computer optimized, high-void all-terrain pattern with interlocking tread blocks, innovative siping and multiple loose object ejection features to combine off-road durability and traction with on-road handling and acceptable noise.
Upper shoulder Sidewall Armor features a tougher sidewall rubber compound that's twice as thick as its predecessor and a Serrated Shoulder Design that delivers additional traction by providing the clawing action necessary to develop traction and steering control in deep dirt, sand or on rock during "aired down" off-road driving.
The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon on top of BFGoodrich's TriGard, 3-ply polyester cord sidewall ply construction (2 plies for Load Range C tires) for strength and durability.
Single strand beads (a single strand of bead wire is continuously wrapped multiple times until the desired strength is provided) enhance the tire's fit to the wheel to improve uniformity and ride quality.
NOTE: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
From Tirerack

Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for some good info on these tyres and this thread has been the best...couple that with the fact that I love Land Rovers and have a D1 (that my wife hates but I love) I just had to join up!

I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what tyres to buy for my company vehicle lately, a new Mazda BT50 4x4 dual cab, so a good 4WD but it came from the factory with road tyres, Dunlops, not good enough for my work situations which involve some decent off-road stuff. So I replaced them and was tossing up between Dick Cepek Fun Countries, General AT2, or even the Duratracs. I was doing my research because I'm going to have to replace tyres on my Disco soon as although they've got heaps of tread left they're from 2007, shame because they're great Cooper ATRs and near new, I don't drive that vehicle much...but that may change soon.

Anyway, I was going to buy one of the above tyres for the Mazda, then the guy at the tyre shop suggested the new BFGs as there was apparently "no contest" between them and anything else in that range. I hesitated, but I went for it, and apart from loving the look of them I've now been reading this kind of thing and it sounds like I made the right choice! I was wondering how good they'd be and if I'd want them for my Disco when I get around to replacing those too, and it looks like there may be a fair chance of that.

Also for some reason I was reading that the KO2 had a 2-ply sidewall like the Generals, and I was really bummed that I didn't end up with a tyre that had a better 3-ply sidewall...now I'm reading that the KO2 is in fact 3-ply...hopefully that's the correct information and I've won out on that front too!

Can't wait to get them off-road!!!

PS. Great looking forum. This is my ride.

Attached Thumbnails BFG K02 or General Grabber AT2?-20160221_163841.jpg  

Last edited by Young Angus; 09-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Soon to be pulling the trigger on some tires as well. I like the price point of the AT/2 over the BFG. I had the BFG A/T's back in 2000 on my D1 then. Very durable tire. I am not really a big fan of the new sidewall of the KO2. It would be great if I did rock crawling and was in need of a tire that had an aggressive sidewall.

Do they still make the older BFG KO tires?? The tread design of the BFG is probably the most recognized in the all terrain tire industry. It makes any vehicle look fantastic.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:09 PM
TReK

Thanks for the feedback and pictures. I wanted to update on this thread. I decided to go with the BFG KO2's. The primary reason being thicker sidewalls vs the AT2's and improved performance in rain, snow and ice. I purchased 5 from a local Tire Warehouse.. They come witha 40,000 mile warrenty I believe. I was very impressed with the customer service at Tire Warehouse in Portsmouth NH. I called in advance and asked about 5 235/85 16 KO2's. The rep informed me that they were not in stock at their facility but that they do have them stocked at a storage warehouse somewhere in Massachusetts (1.5-3 hour drive maybe?). He said I come pick them up the following day or make a over the phone deposit of $40 and they would send someone down to Mass to pick them up same day! I said HELL YEAH and 3 hours later I have 5 new BFG KO2 tires on my rig!

Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 PM
TReK
Old 12-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

On my D2 I have always run road tires, Goodyear F1 and Continental UHP.

However, on my Pajero I used Grabber AT's 265 75 R15 which were excellent but I'm currently running Runway Enduro AT's, why, cheap for offroading and laning and still good onroad and off. I have never used BFG as this side of the pond they were always a ridiculous price by comparison to others.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:53 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
On my D2 I have always run road tires, Goodyear F1 and Continental UHP.

However, on my Pajero I used Grabber AT's 265 75 R15 which were excellent but I'm currently running Runway Enduro AT's, why, cheap for offroading and laning and still good onroad and off. I have never used BFG as this side of the pond they were always a ridiculous price by comparison to others.

Andrew St Pierre White sold me on BFG. When your alone, many miles from help in the middle of nowhere... Its piece of mind knowing your vehicle is equipped with highly reputable tires reknown for superior strength and longevity. I now believe you get what you pay for... I paid,$1,130 for 5 tires mounted and balanced on my rig, 40,000 warranty included and lifetime free rotations from said shop. Im happy with the purchase.

Quick Reply: BFG K02 or General Grabber AT2?