Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing Cold air / Thermostat Problem 2000 D2

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing Cold air / Thermostat Problem 2000 D2

It's Winter time just about and have noticed the heat not coming on right away on a 2000 D2. The vehicle is cold for a good 20-30 minutes before warm heat starts to come. Ive been watching the temperature and it stays at normal and than starts to rise and than drops. At that time temperature inside is usually getting warm. I assume this the thermostat on the water pump that is sticking. Is there a way to test or release the sticking. If I do replace the T-Stat is it located on the front or top of Water Pump. Also should I replace the Water Pump at the same time as it looks like I have to take out the Alternator or something else to get at it, as it looks like it's buried underneath everything. Truck has 117,000 on it and have no records from previous owner when things were replaced.
Lastly is there a 2000 D2 Service repair manual or CD out there to purchase that's cheaper than $145.00. Maybe Chiltons or Haynes?. I Don't really want to spend that much if there is something more reasonable out there that I haven't found yet.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Blowing Cold air / Thermostat Problem 2000 D2

Go on E-Bay for a cheap CD.
The t'stat is on the psaaenger side of the radiator, it is plastic and hooked to the hoses, easy to replace.
Order one on line from Atlantic British or Rover Connection, don't forget to use organe coolant.
Have you been having to add coolant lately?
By the way, I live in Colo., it is 7 degrees out and my hetare is usually waqrm to hot in 10 minutes.
Mike

Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Mike for your quick response. Got the CD ordered last night for Disco 2 Workshop Manual on ebay as stated, very cheap 1100 pgs on CD (so it stated). Also I had an order in to Atlantic British for the Throttle Plate gasket kit as that was what the problem was from a previous thread I inquired about, I'll add the T-Stat.
I was also able to extract the O2 Sensor that a shop couldn't get out, replaced it and CEL is gone, great advice using the PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst oil. It worked great after engine was Hot.
I'll get the Stat from Atlantic PEM100990KG $11.95 , close to NH. Also seems to be a regular thing now, Guess it's at that milaege.
I assume I can replace the original clamps with the hex head type, I don't care for the Landrover type snap clamps at all. I Already have the Prestone Dex Cool orange Antifreeze as well, not sure why really though, except I have heard something about an Aluminum radiator in previous threads. Also have heard some negetives about the orange coolant creating some leaks after changing.
How much Antifreeze / Water(distilled?)will fill the system roughly if I flush/drain and refill? Also it says 50/50, Is that correct? I'll check another thread, must have been a similar question.

Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge, it's much appreciated.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The manual says 8.4 qts for a refeil and 13.7 for a complete fill from empty.
I have usually done 6 qts of orange coolant and toped with water.
By the way, Dex Cool or OAT coolant is the only coolant Rover says to use to prolong head gasket wear.
Mike