Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Devil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Blue Devil

My son bought a '97 Ford Ranger with the V-6.
2 days later the drivers side head gasket sprung a leak.
He is 19 and has no money, so he went to AutoZone and bought a bottle of Blue Devil Headgasket repair.
It is $60.
It worked.
I cant recommend it, but I thought I would share.

http://gouniversalproducts.com/products_desc.php

We have no idea how long it is going to last, but his truck is now drive able.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoever he bought it from probably did the same thing a few days before he sold it

It's worth a shot especially in a beater that you are not that worried about.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default it works

Originally Posted by Spike555
My son bought a '97 Ford Ranger with the V-6.
2 days later the drivers side head gasket sprung a leak.
He is 19 and has no money, so he went to AutoZone and bought a bottle of Blue Devil Headgasket repair.
It is $60.
It worked.
I cant recommend it, but I thought I would share.

http://gouniversalproducts.com/products_desc.php

We have no idea how long it is going to last, but his truck is now drive able.
Amazing, another truck that has a headgasket problem...That make's 2 trucks in my life i have heard of....Hey Spike, I used "cargo" in my 95 4.0 range rover and it lasted 100,000 miles in florida with on and off working aux fans and i spend sometimes 30to 40 minutes in traffic... Its a copper and liquid glass mixture.. I know it's not the LR book way to fix the problem but i would have to say its not any worse than putting Sh&t gaskets in a BPOS engine block built by Fu%cking idiots... Im am getting tired of people telling me there is only one way to fix this problem but there really isnt..its just buying time because it was flawed before they even cast the blocks to begin with..You can put $5,000.00 into it and its still only a POS...It's just a exercise in futility...I say this as i know you of all people, understand...

Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I hate to be the one to throw cold water on our enthusiasm but I may be having second thoughts on the Blue Devil. I put some in my 2000 two weeks ago. Since then it has been running great. It never had overheated while I had it but it did have several leaks from the head gaskets. Last Friday I drove to Orange County from San Diego, about a 220 miles roundtrip. On the way back, I stopped at a McDonalds for a soda. While in the drivethrough, the temp gauge started to creep up. It never got to the red but it did get to the upper ranges of the white section.

Today I had the fan clutch changed, swapped the water pump, changed coolant and thought the problem was fixed. When I was pullling on to the freeway, I stopped for the signal and sure enough, the temp started to climb. I pulled to the side and shut it down. I cant figure this one out. It never overheats while I am driving, only when I stop after driving and not all of the time. However, it never heated up until last Friday when I took it for a longer drive. Is it the head gasket? I cracked sleeve? It runs great, idles fine and gets good mileage. I am baffled. HELP! Thanks Phil

Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thermostat?
________
The Legend Condos

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default the curse

you are describing the LR curse...the one that keeps you from looseing sleep. I have gone threw this for years of LR ownership. It sucks....I know the feeling....remember..you said it only overheats when not moving....flow........usally when head gaskets are really leaking, the pressure at driving would really overheat quick.. i had a small crack in the head ounce and it only showed it's ugly head when i got stuck in traffic and not when moving. Thermo, raditor.....check hoses's for softness..expansion tank....take a look at these. i remember when i had a overheat one time and changed the raditor...gone.....these pile's are flow sensitive big time.. check out and get back..

good luck, chris

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sorry, also changed the thermostat yesterday. Radiator was inspected and appears fine. This one is a stumper.........Anyway to tell if the head is cracked without removing it? Hoses are in good shape. Expansion tank and cap are good. It doesn't appear to have any external leaks. It is odd. It just started acting this way. Sometimes after driving a distance I will let it sit and idle and it will idle fine for several minute, then randomly, it will start to get hotter. The drained coolant was clean, the oil is clean. Thanks in advance. Phil

2000 DII 127k miles (the good deal is getting less good, but it is still a pretty nice truck....)

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default check..

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Sorry, also changed the thermostat yesterday. Radiator was inspected and appears fine. This one is a stumper.........Anyway to tell if the head is cracked without removing it? Hoses are in good shape. Expansion tank and cap are good. It doesn't appear to have any external leaks. It is odd. It just started acting this way. Sometimes after driving a distance I will let it sit and idle and it will idle fine for several minute, then randomly, it will start to get hotter. The drained coolant was clean, the oil is clean. Thanks in advance. Phil

2000 DII 127k miles (the good deal is getting less good, but it is still a pretty nice truck....)

Let it idel and when and if the temp moves shut off and see if you are or where if at all it's leaking. My cracked head was passenger side all the way in the back of the engine next to the firewall. Was very hard to find until it got big...then you could actually see it comming out like a squirt gun...

Let us know.. Chris

Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Chris, you are talking about a cracked head vs. leaking head gaskets, correct? Phil

Quick Reply: Blue Devil