Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet wont open!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:57 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet wont open!

In case you havent read it mentioned on another post, my bonnet ("hood", for you yanks) wont open. I need to check levels and get to my other fusebox asap. I pull the lever and nothing, no "pop". The wire is still attached and does move when the lever is pulled. I noticed it looks like a brake cable from a bike, which stretch over time. Is that whats happened?

So, I searched and found nothing. How on earth do you get into the bonnet when it wont open? Im sure the answer to the question of what has happened will sort what needs doing once the bonnet is open, however, I need to get into it first.

Please help! I need to get into that bonnet tonight, if not, in the morning.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bonnet wont open!

I haven't really looked closely at the Disco hood latch, but try giving the front of the hood a good smack with your hand while somebody pulls the lever. Some hood latches can stick so the spring doesn't pop it up, just not sure on the Disco.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ditto. And then after it is open spray the latch and cable with your favorite penatrant/lube.
Lube all of your doors hinges, latches, locks, everything that moves every 6 months to keep it all in tip top shape.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

What is the recommended lube?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White lithium spray is always a good choice.

WD 40 works, but you might need to do more frequent than every 6 months if you pick it..

Sillicone spray...

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling

In fact LR even has their own can of white lithium grease. I forget the part number, but of course what is "Recommended" is the LR grease but any will really be fine. I picked up a can at the dealer a few months ago but forget how much it was. I remember it was ridiculous but not that outrageous, under $15. I figured "what the hell" since a can will pretty much last forever. I was really surprised to find the dealer actually uses it, well mine at least, instead of just some other less expensive brand.

I know I'm an idiot and it's not any better than any other decent one but sometimes it's just fun to take a trip on the short bus.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
4wd High

Ok guys, tried it and nothing. Im hitting the bonnet as hard as possible without damaging it and still nothing moving.

Any other ideas? Can I get to the latch any other way?

Getting really frustrating now.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Does there seem to be any tension on the release at all or is it just moving completely freely?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoDoobie

Ok guys, tried it and nothing. Im hitting the bonnet as hard as possible without damaging it and still nothing moving.

Any other ideas? Can I get to the latch any other way?

Getting really frustrating now.
Ok this might not work but on my grandads truck he cant open the hood without someone holding the release inside the truck. May not be ur problem, but its worth a try!

Also, if you hold the latch under the hoodand shake it might come loose, I know mine gets hung up sometimes, but I can always get it open. KEEP TRYING!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
FJL
Drifting

It could be that your hood latch cable broke. A mechanic friend of mine crawled under the vehicle with a long screw driver and managed to pop the latch.

Quick Reply: Bonnet wont open!