Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding, Which method is best

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding, Which method is best

OK, It's time to finish installing my braided stainless brake lines. I did the four frame-to-caliper lines a few months ago, it is time to do the two body-to-frame lines. My question is, what is the most effective way to bleed the lines after this job?

- I have one of those vacuum bleeders that attach to the bleeder fitting on the caliper and pull the fluid down from the master cylinder. It works ok, but it is really slow, the fluid container collapses under the vacuum pressure, and I get a never ending stream of small air bubbles that I assume come in through the threads of the fitting. Not exactly an ideal solution.

- The manual just says to attach a hose to the fitting, place the other end in a bottle of fluid, open the fitting and pump the brakes. I always learned that one should close the fitting before releasing the pedal for each pump, something not mentioned in the manual. Does the manual's method really work effectively?

- I have seen bleeders that work by pressurizing the master cylinder and pushing the fluid through from the top.

- I think I remember seeing bleeder systems that push fluid up from the calipers backwards to the master cylinder.

What are other people doing out there and how effective is it? Mike, what are your thoughts on this?

Elliot

Old 05-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Brake Bleeding, Which method is best

well, for my bike I used the mighty vac pump when I changed to braided brake line and it worked great, I'm planing on using it to replace my brake fluid on the disco. I didn't do it yet, but I'll ( probably...) do that next sunday.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Rock Crawling

You only need to open and close the bleed nipple if the end ofyour drain tube is NOT COMPLETELYsubmerged in brake fluid. I'd put it in at least 2-3 inches of brake fluid. If the end pops out of the brake fluid then you will suck air in to the system while pumping the brake pedal. The idea is that with it submerged you're sucking brake fluid back in not air. Once you pump it a few times a "gravity feed siphon" action should start anyway. Just keep your eye on the fluid resevoir, if it runs dry you'll have to start over.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

use the 2 man method. Just hit the brakes, hold and tighten the screw before releasing. I have heard of people using the bleeders and having problems, I even tried one myself. Tightening the screw before releasing is the best way. Just make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir