Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake drum assembly removal from t case

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake drum assembly removal from t case

All-
Im installing the new used t case in my 01 discovery 2. I read about removing the brake drum assembly for more clearance. I got the drum off and the 4 bolts off. Do I need to remove the rear t case out put flange off to get the assembly off? If so does anyone know the socket size?
Thanks,
Kevin

Old 04-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Black01D2
All-
Im installing the new used t case in my 01 discovery 2. I read about removing the brake drum assembly for more clearance. I got the drum off and the 4 bolts off. Do I need to remove the rear t case out put flange off to get the assembly off? If so does anyone know the socket size?
Thanks,
Kevin
I'm afraid so, it's not a difficult job provided you have something to hold the flange with. I suggest a piece of angle iron about 1.5"x1.5"x2'6" to 3.0' long with two matching holes to the flange drilled in it and a slight semi circular cut out to avoid the flange hub. Rest it on the ground and use a 6 point 30 or 32mm (can't remember the exact size) impact socket and a breaker bar to undo the nut. The flange should come off easily or if stuck use a two legged puller.

IMPORTANT ensure the truck is on good 2 to 3 ton axle stands and safe from falling onto you and leave the wheels on and a trolley jack under the front and rear diffs as you will tugging around under the truck. Check the RAVE manual for the correct torque setting for retightening the shaft nut and preferably use a new nut and felt washer.