Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this hose thing by the front drive line??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this hose thing by the front drive line??

I have a "new to me" 2000 land rover. Today I took the drivelines off to install new u joints. While I was under there I noticed a black plastic hose looking thing that looks like it has been rubbing on the front drive line and has been melted/broken. What is this? Also I saw a similar looking hose "but this one looked to be rubber" that attaches to the back of the driver side wheel area and was also broken/cut, what is that one? The rover seems to drive as it should but it does have dash lights on, possibly the three amigos lights that I have read about.
Thanks for any help.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Those are the axle vent tubes.
You can buy new ones at Home Depot, ice maker water line, it comes in a 25' tube for like $10.
Cut to length.
Zip tie out of harms way.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Mudding
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. How about the hose behind the driver side front wheel? What is that hose for?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't say this being rude, and this forum is full of people who will help you out, but one of the best things you can do is download the RAVE manual (linked to in a sticky at the top) and search for stuff. Not only will you find your answer, you'll learn a lot of other stuff about your Disco.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Might spend a few minutes under your truck and figure out what makes it tick instead of just asking questions.
When you installed new u-joints on the front drive shaft, did you replace the centering ball, if not it will fail shortly. How about the slip shafts, have you greased both of them?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Default New owner

Yesterday I took the drivelines off the Rover, the U joints and Centering ball are on order. I don't live by a Advanced Auto Parts so they are being shipped to me. I should have them next week. I have been looking through the manual but haven't been able to find the hose in question behind the driver side wheel, I'll keep looking through the manual.
I spent most of yesterday under the truck and looking through the manual and will continue to do so. Sorry it sounded like I skipped some steps and went right to my questions. As has been mentioned I'll find this in the manual.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

Ok, lets start over, what do you mean by DRIVELINES?
Do you mean the drive shafts?
The axles?
The differentials?
What exactly?

Last edited by Spike555; 02-12-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Default U joint repair

According to the manual I guess the correct name is the Propeller Shafts, thats what I took off anticipating the u joints arriving this week.
I'm wondering if the hose behind the driver side wheel that is broken/cut is the ABS hose??? If that is what it is, what would that cause to happen?? If that is the ABS hose, does that carry anything or just air?
Sorry for my ignorance.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Better follow hose to something large at one end or the other or take pix, your descriptions are not quite detailed enough. And you are not ignorant, just finding your way on a new map.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

There is no such thing as a "ABS hose".
There are ABS wires, but those are at each hub on each wheel.
It would be best to follow the hoses from where they begin to where they terminate.
There are 3 breathers, one on the front differential, one on the transfer case and one on the rear diff.
The front diff and t-case terminate in the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: What's this hose thing by the front drive line??