Brake Lamp/light Bulb will not work---'03 Disco - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
 

Go Back   > >

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
kpl1228's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Brake Lamp/light Bulb will not work---'03 Disco

Guy at a stop light was nice enough to tell me my left rear brake lamp was out. The tail light works fine, but when I press on the brake there is no light from the bulb. I went to the dealer and got two replacement bulbs (dual filament). Replaced it: SAME THING. Again, tail light filament works fine, but brake light has NOTHING. Fog lamps affect it in no way.
Help-------thanks as always.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Savannah Buzz's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Savannah Georgia
Posts: 16,324
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Switch operated by brake pedal - and you can buy bulbs at auto parts store , no magic about them
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM
disc oh no's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 652
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz View Post
Switch operated by brake pedal - and you can buy bulbs at auto parts store , no magic about them
I think he's saying that one is working, one is not. May want to double check the connections on the plug itself on that side. Sometimes they get corroded or burnt. Try cleaning it up and putting the bulb back in, don't re-install the lenz on the truck. Make sure it works first. If not, have someone else hold the brake on and see if wiggling it makes any difference.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Savannah Buzz's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Savannah Georgia
Posts: 16,324
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I need new glasses - sorry - there have indeed been posts about fried electrical socket that the bulb plugs in to. Can be removed and cleaned up, or replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
disc oh no's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 652
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz View Post
I need new glasses - sorry - there have indeed been posts about fried electrical socket that the bulb plugs in to. Can be removed and cleaned up, or replaced.
No big deal man! Yeah, mine were pretty burnt when I replaced my bulbs. I cleaned them up and put a little dielectric grease on them and so far have had no more trouble with them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2011, 04:22 PM
kpl1228's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thanks all
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 PM
disc oh no's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 652
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Did you get it working? If so, what worked? It's important to post your final repair if possible, so when someone else has this same problem they have your thread as a reference.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
lordmorpheus's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 1,854
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc oh no View Post
Did you get it working? If so, what worked? It's important to post your final repair if possible, so when someone else has this same problem they have your thread as a reference.
Well said.

This needs to be added to the forum rules...something like: If help is requested for troubleshooting, the poster is required to post what they finally did to resolve the problem, before they are allowed to make or read any other threads.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM
disc oh no's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 652
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorpheus View Post
Well said.

This needs to be added to the forum rules...something like: If help is requested for troubleshooting, the poster is required to post what they finally did to resolve the problem, before they are allowed to make or read any other threads.
Well..... maybe not THAT strict!!! There are WAY too many open-ended threads on here and other similar forums though. I think this just really makes it harder to get a decent answer when doing a search. You get about 1,000 results all with words that match your search criteria but... no end results. What worked??? We may never know!!! Then we end up with MORE of the same threads and so on and so on!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
lordmorpheus's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 1,854
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc oh no View Post
Well..... maybe not THAT strict!!! There are WAY too many open-ended threads on here and other similar forums though. I think this just really makes it harder to get a decent answer when doing a search. You get about 1,000 results all with words that match your search criteria but... no end results. What worked??? We may never know!!! Then we end up with MORE of the same threads and so on and so on!
Lol, yeah, I was joking about the punishment for the lack of "what fixed it" replies. It would be VERY nice if everyone reported what did not work, and what finally did work. I would be happy with a one sentence reply 50% of the time.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
replacing odometer lamp and clock lamp jfall Discovery II 5 10-05-2013 11:19 AM
Replace blinker lamp and fog lamp Peter Van Slyke Discovery II 2 09-03-2013 07:39 AM
TRADE: 99-02 Head Lamp Guards, attaches to 99-02 brush guard/ for 03-04 H.Lamp Guards DiscoRover007 Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds 2 08-26-2012 10:48 AM
DII Fog Lamp Bulb Replacement JBRIII Discovery II 0 05-25-2010 05:28 PM
2007 lr3 Tail/Brake Lamp Bulb Replacement cocca LR3 4 05-18-2010 08:16 PM


Tags
2003, brake, bulb, discovery, lamp, land, light, number, rear, replacement, rover, savannah, socket, tail, wont, work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.


LAND ROVER and its logo are the registered trademarks of Land Rover. Land Rover is not affiliated with LandRoverForums.com.