Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Master Cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a break problem, I don't know if this is related to my initial mistake of not correctly placing booster pin or not. The first time time I press the break pedal it goes to the floor with little resistance. Then after it functions normally. I've bled the breaks several times(both engine on and off) to make sure I don't have air in the system. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you replaced the master you will need a way to activate the ABS in order to bleed the system

Old 03-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you replaced the master you will need a way to activate the ABS in order to bleed the system
Well that sucks

Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Cheapest thing i have found to do that is the Autocom. It's less than $100 and works fantastic. Do a search on here and you will find the info.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Baja

you could try this it was sent to me by a member before i had my hawkeye.

I turned the ignition key to position 2, then removed the ABS relay from the under hood fuse/relay box. I checked the diagram on the side of the relay to see which terminals had power when the relay was energised. I believe they were terminals 3 and 5 (going from memory, so check your relay before trying).

I first just used a paperclip I bent into a horseshoe shape, but that got a bit hot to the touch, so I used two leads from my multimeter and aligator-clipped the ends together. As soon as you link both terminals together, the ABS activates.

Starting with the right front (per RAVE), I could see the glass jar filling with brake fluid from the hose coming from the bleed screw on the caliper as soon as the ABS kicked on.

Had I used some 20' of wire coming from the relay panel, I could have done all four wheels myself and not had to get help from the wife. I could have just joined the wires together from under the vehicle at each wheel when I loosed the bleeder.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Baja

you could try this it was sent to me by a member before i had my hawkeye. I WOULD SKIP THE PAPER CLIP STEP

I turned the ignition key to position 2, then removed the ABS relay from the under hood fuse/relay box. I checked the diagram on the side of the relay to see which terminals had power when the relay was energised. I believe they were terminals 3 and 5 (going from memory, so check your relay before trying).

I first just used a paperclip I bent into a horseshoe shape, but that got a bit hot to the touch, so I used two leads from my multimeter and aligator-clipped the ends together. As soon as you link both terminals together, the ABS activates.

Starting with the right front (per RAVE), I could see the glass jar filling with brake fluid from the hose coming from the bleed screw on the caliper as soon as the ABS kicked on.

Had I used some 20' of wire coming from the relay panel, I could have done all four wheels myself and not had to get help from the wife. I could have just joined the wires together from under the vehicle at each wheel when I loosed the bleeder.

LET USE KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT

Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes. Definitely do not recommend a bent paperclip, unless you are into body modification (paperclip melted into your fingertips).
I also now have the Autocom, but for the relay-jump method I would use two 20' lengths of 12 gauge wire and attach a 1/4" male spade terminal at one end of each wire length. Insert the spade terminals into the relay socket, and when you are ready to begin bleeding a wheel, touch the other ends of both wires together.
Fill a clear jar with enough clean brake fluid so the end of the tube running from the bleed screw is below the level of the fluid in the jar. Loosen the bleed screw, then touch the wires together. When you see no more air bubbles coming from the hose, tighten the bleed screw, and separate the wires to stop the ABS from pumping.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey73
Thanks. With all your help and some special help from the folks at Lucky8LLC I got it sorted. What I was worried about was whether there was another part or something that might have fallen into the booster. They pulled a booster from their stock and looked it over and sure enough, just the star clip snaps in to hold the plunger. I fiddled around and got the star to snap in and all is well. I still have a little bleeding to do to get things back to full firmness but that will have to wait a few days.

Thanks again and a special thanks to Lucky8 for taking the time to get "eyes on" the the real thing to be sure.
Hi Bud! Unfortunately, my pin/plunger/actuator whatever you want to call it came out with my BMC (fml). Can you walk me through how you fixed yours? Or did you need a new booster?

Old 05-12-2022, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break booster rod is dangles

Took out my break master cylinder and then I noticed the rid in the break booster is not on the center. Is it broken or is there a way to center it again?;

Old 05-12-2022, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Yeah that plunger shouldn't of come out. That star clip retains it into the Brake Booster.
ralph is correct
How do you reattach it?

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder problem