Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil Odor

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Burning Oil Odor

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a consistent burning oil smell with their DII and how they've gone about diagnosing it? I switched over to synthetic oil about a year ago (oil change place) and shortly afterward started smelling burning oil. I figured that perhaps some oil had spilled and was burning off but it continued on for the next six months or so. I know my vehicle is old, and maintenance is due. Probably should get it in somewhere to have it looked at as I don't feel comfortable doing motor work myself. I know that it's leaking somewhere as I have oil on the driveway underneath the engine. I suspect my valve cover gaskets are leaking as I can see oil around them but don't know if anything else is contributing to the burning smell. Once the weather warms up here (in the next few days) I'll climb under and clean her off with some brake cleaner and try to pinpoint. Just looking for ideas as it's getting pretty bad. I can smell it in the Rover when I run the fan, defrost, etc. It permeates the air as well around the hood area when I shut it off and get out. Anyone have a rough estimate as to how much a valve cover gasket change-out costs at an independent shop?

Many thanks,

Christina

Old 03-04-2017, 11:05 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Once upon a time I had that burning smell all the time. Your suspicion might be correct from the gasket. It could be dripping towards the exhaust manifold which hardly noticable because it burns and dries it before you can visually see it. Unless the leaking is stopped, then determining the issue is much easier. Gerry

Old 03-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a consistent burning oil smell with their DII and how they've gone about diagnosing it? I switched over to synthetic oil about a year ago (oil change place) and shortly afterward started smelling burning oil. I figured that perhaps some oil had spilled and was burning off but it continued on for the next six months or so. I know my vehicle is old, and maintenance is due. Probably should get it in somewhere to have it looked at as I don't feel comfortable doing motor work myself. I know that it's leaking somewhere as I have oil on the driveway underneath the engine. I suspect my valve cover gaskets are leaking as I can see oil around them but don't know if anything else is contributing to the burning smell. Once the weather warms up here (in the next few days) I'll climb under and clean her off with some brake cleaner and try to pinpoint. Just looking for ideas as it's getting pretty bad. I can smell it in the Rover when I run the fan, defrost, etc. It permeates the air as well around the hood area when I shut it off and get out. Anyone have a rough estimate as to how much a valve cover gasket change-out costs at an independent shop?

Many thanks,

Christina
Hi Christina, problem with 100% synthetic oils they are often thinner, typically a 5W30 type so they tend to seek out any leaks and you may find it's dripping onto the manifold, as LR03NJ says, or onto the exhaust pipe. Check to see whether the engine breather is blocked or choked up with crud as this will defo cause an over pressure and seek out any potential leaks. If it is coming from under the hood/bonnet and through the heater I reckon it's somewhere in the engine bay area and possible a rocker gasket or similar. Are you using or losing excessive amounts of oil or are there any drips on your drive/garage floor overnight?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Gerry & CJ,

Yes Offroad, I have a slow drip that marks its territory at work and at home but not a noticeable reduction in oil in the system. I do notice it however on the driveway as it's emulsified with the snow and made a lovely color on the black top over the winter. I use 10W30.

'Engine breather'.. I will check this once I figure out where it's located haha. Exhaust pipe sounds logical too - I'll check that as well and clean up any messes in the next week and report back.

thanks again

Old 03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I have 128k on my 04 and i can see the oil seepage from the valve cover gaskets. Cold here in CT and I just don't have the time to pull 'Winston' apart right now. It will be part of other work i need to do like injector o-rings, since I have the perpetual 1171 &1174 codes and have done everything but the o-rings to kill them.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

i had that issue. Plugged PCV causing crank case pressure and also switched to 20/50 with lucas oil stabilizer. I still have a slight leak i think when running but no more burnt oil smell and no drips when its parked.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's nice to know that it can go away haha. I'll have to poke around and clean it up down there, see if I can find the cause of the leak. Your suggestions have given me something to work with though, so thank you.

My colleague just showed me this clip. He said that he sometimes feels this way when working on code. I feel this way when trying to figure out Rover issues Trying something different every single time and getting the same result.

I'll never get it!!! NEVER!!!!

Old 03-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is currently doing this as the valve cover gaskets are starting to give. It is dripping oil off the rear of the block, passenger side right onto the downpipe cat. I literally caught it in the act by popping my hood immediately after parking it after a longer drive and I saw the smoke from the oil burning off the cat. I'm looking forward to fixing that soon.

Last edited by brolome; 03-06-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: semantics
Old 03-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by brolome
Mine is currently doing this as the valve cover gaskets are starting to give. It is dripping oil off the rear of the block, passenger side right onto the downpipe cat. I literally caught it in the act by popping my hood immediately after parking it after a longer drive and I saw the smoke from the oil burning off the cat. I'm looking forward to fixing that soon.
Hey Christina, you ain't be smoking that weed again under the hood and in the D2, have you

Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hey Christina, you ain't be smoking that weed again under the hood and in the D2, have you
erm..CJ? you're the one quoting brolome and speaking to me...?...

Quick Reply: Burning Oil Odor