Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c expansion valve

Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c expansion valve

Can you unclog an a/c expansion valve? Can they be serviced or do you have to replace? I was having a/c problems so I took it to a local mechanic and the tried to pull a vaccum but said that the system was not flowing and that they were almost positive that my expansion valve was clogged. Any ideas?
Jason

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It has to be replaced with a new one.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you do the valve make sure nothing bit the dust causing it got get stuck. Does the compressor run all the time, does it actually work.

Plus the sure fire way to know a valve is bad is by pulling a vacuum and measuring how much you can put in. Not pull out. So lets say you pull out 1.0lb of freon and the system takes 2lbs. If you can't put in 2lbs cause the system prevents it then you have a valve problem.

But to be on the safe side before putting one in, double check with another shop to make sure the diag is correct.

it would be a shame to put one in to have a bad hose.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Three Wheeling

I am being told that my electric condenser fan is not working. I am getting cold air at hwy speeds but stop and go I am not getting any cold air. The shop checked to make sure that the fan was getting power and it is. Are these fans bad about kicking the bucket? They asked me if I wanted to try to find a used one. Anyone have any ideas for a source for a used one?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well with a 14 year old truck the fans are allowed to go bad.

You can replace just the motor, have the shop give you the whole fan and on the motor will be a part number.
Take that to a autopart store and they can cross reference the part number and look up an new motor.
Then you take the fan off the motor and put it on the new motor.

Also check these places as well as e-bay and Craig's List.

www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.roverlandparts.com

Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tried today... No cross. They are goofy looking fans...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do replace the fans, don't use your a/c in the mean time or you will burn up you engine.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Disco Mike, how can I check the fans myself? Seems strange that they both would stop at once. Maybe its a switch or something keeping them from turning on (seems I read that there were two switches that have something to do with the fans operation)? I plan on trying to pull them out this weekend. What do you think?
Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
6th Gear

Well this is my first post but on the exp valve if you have a set of gauges you could run air for a few minutes and water down the evap and see if the pressure change up and down this would give you some idea if the valve was working right,, then shut it down and watch for gauges to equal out on both the low and high side pressure should be about the same ,I am thinking about 100psi but this could be higher or lower according to temp. and the amount of gas,. On the fan motors you could check for open in the windings with DVM and make sure the ground for the system is clean.I am sure there are others here that would have more info,Hope you find it, I know on my Disco the fans roar so I know there working.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasons
Disco Mike, how can I check the fans myself? Seems strange that they both would stop at once. Maybe its a switch or something keeping them from turning on (seems I read that there were two switches that have something to do with the fans operation)? I plan on trying to pull them out this weekend. What do you think?
Thanks,
Jason
Hi Jasons,
Mine went a few years ago. The auto electrician said that it was likely one went before the other but I never noticed. I guess one working sounds much the same as two. By the way he replaced them with a generic pair - I think he had to get creative mounting them!

If you want to test them you could just run a wire directly back to your battery.

If they are working correctly they should be on if you have the aircon on with any fan speed. The engine does not need to be on for this test (key needs to be turned to on though), in fact it is better if it is not - easier to hear the AC fans.
________
Handheld vaporizer iolite review

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c expansion valve