Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Great write up. Gotta do this, my fan just started making noise as well.
Thank you, and I highly suggest this maintenance. It will save you $$$ in the long run. Even just having debri in there will cause the bearings to wear faster since the fan will be out of balance. Also, moisture accumulates there due to hot and cold changes, so the bearings suffer with that too and the oil will help prevent rusting.
Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Great write up, good pix. One way to reduce the leaf input is to cut a piece of that rough texture DIY air filter material (looks like a BBQ grille sponge) and shove into fresh air intake, prevents leaves from being sucked down there in the first place.
That's a good idea. I still have not replaced my plenum filter. I need to get on it. And for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here are graphics to show what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-land_rover_discovery_plenum_air_filter_b.jpg   A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-land_rover_discovery_plenum_air_filter_c.jpg   A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-plenum.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
RoverJess03 (08-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Pro Wrench

UPDATE: It's STILL quiet, and running beautifully! It's on EVERY day, Summer and Winter, and still no squeaking sounds or other issues.

This appears to have been a permanent fix for me.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks to the OP for the excellent pics and write up! I used the info to clean out by blower fan. Lots of trapped leaves and remnants of the pollen filter sucked into the blower fan. It is now much more quiet on my warm summer drives!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by acg
Thanks to the OP for the excellent pics and write up! I used the info to clean out by blower fan. Lots of trapped leaves and remnants of the pollen filter sucked into the blower fan. It is now much more quiet on my warm summer drives!
I'm really glad to hear this. Thank you for your input.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Fantastic!!More things to keep me busy! hahaha

Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dparham
Fantastic!!More things to keep me busy! hahaha
Good, you were looking a little bit too relaxed lately...

Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Good, you were looking a little bit too relaxed lately...
well Im still tracking down my issue.... I did the bypass in the fuse block but maybe I didnt need to but I did it in a way its easy to put back... I had to buy a new multimeter ( FLUKE this time not crappy cheapy ) ... but after F4 (under hood) checked and F7 (inside dash) I get full voltage, but the fan stopped again... it worked for about 2 days then acted like it did originally... it cut out... then came back on... then cut out and hasnt come back on... so now Im going to start looking towards fan area more.... can a relay click but not be working? Were heading back into another dang week of rain... and its HOT 90deg and 100% humidity... not fun for cruzin in the disco! lol well with windows up lol

Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, it can click and contacts can be open or carbonized as high resistance

Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Yes, it can click and contacts can be open or carbonized as high resistance
hmmm so can I clean that or is there a reading on my new meter I can check? I know I can jump the motor and see if is spins up... it did 2 days ago... wasnt blowing my socks off as I jumped it by bypassing the relay and using its 12v hot.... I figured it was just not a full volted line... but it was hot and my crappy NON FLUKE gauge was acting up... lol

Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Is it a relay you can see? I would swap it with another one and see if that fixes it. They are cheap to replace. I've actually opened them up and cleaned the contacts to get them working again.

Other option is when the motor is out, verify if the Brushes and Armature are both ok. If the brushes are too worn, or if they are stuck from gunk, they will not touch the Armature enough to make an electrical connection. Or, the Armatures can be worn enough they don't work anymore, or the spring that pushes the brushes can be broken.

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-12-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation